• Register
  • Help

Topic: "unsmooth" playback on Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

"unsmooth" playback on Gigastudio

I have recently added Gigastudio 160 to my Pentium 2.2G system, and added a MIA Midi sound card to make sure I can work with its GSIF drivers.

I have two problems - that may be linked. The first is that there is an enormous lag - about 100ms between pressing a key on a connected MOTIF 8 keyboard through the MIDI connection to Gigastudio.

The second is when I play back a piano piece written in Sibelius through Gigastudio. When I play the piece through the sounds on a Audigy sound card, it sounds smooth and accurate. When I disable this card and use the MIA with Gigastudio, the quality of the piano sound is very good but the playback sounds jerky - nothing like as smooth.

I have set the GSIF buffer size on the MIA card to various levels, but it doesnt make much difference.
    Any thoughts?

Re: "unsmooth" playback on Gigastudio

Originally posted by Steve Heap:
    I have recently added Gigastudio 160 to my Pentium 2.2G system, and added a MIA Midi sound card to make sure I can work with its GSIF drivers.

I have two problems - that may be linked. The first is that there is an enormous lag - about 100ms between pressing a key on a connected MOTIF 8 keyboard through the MIDI connection to Gigastudio.

The second is when I play back a piano piece written in Sibelius through Gigastudio. When I play the piece through the sounds on a Audigy sound card, it sounds smooth and accurate. When I disable this card and use the MIA with Gigastudio, the quality of the piano sound is very good but the playback sounds jerky - nothing like as smooth.

I have set the GSIF buffer size on the MIA card to various levels, but it doesnt make much difference.
    Any thoughts?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is from giga\'s website about getting pops and clicks. I know that\'s not your issue. But I thought you might try some of this stuff.

2. Make sure that the drive is not overly fragmented. Storing everything but Giga instruments on your main system drive will help reduce de-fragmentation issues. Leave the instruments to their own drive. If they are merely playing back samples and not writing to the disk, de-fragmentation will not be an issue.

3. Make sure that your Giga instrument drive is not chained on to a slower CD-Rom device.

4. Make sure that \"Auto-Insert Notification\" is turned off for all of your CD-Rom drives.

5. Reduce graphics acceleration

6. Try adjusting the buffer of your sound card.

7. Make sure that your Giga rig\'s word clock Master/Slave configuration is correct.

8. Is your drive fast enough? 7200 RPM ATA100 is recommended.

9. Is your processor fast enough? A minimum of a PIII 550 is recommended.

10. Are you trying to play multiple audio tracks from a DAW while streaming samples from Giga? If so, are you utilizing two separate drives? Is you system robust enough to pull this off?

11. Do you have other audio devices like modems and system sounds like Windows beeps and chimes de-activated?

12. Are your Chipset drivers for the IDE buss current? If not, make sure you download and install the newest ones.

13. If you are running more than one Gigs drive on a single IDE buss, are they similar in throughput? The slowest device will slow down the throughput for all of the connected devices.

Go Back to forum