• Register
  • Help

Topic: Syncing Odd Times with RMX in Live 6.0

Share/Bookmark

Syncing Odd Times with RMX in Live 6.0

Syncing with LIVE's master time set to 4/4 is easy as pie. Why am I unable to synchronize Stylus RMX clips with 7/8 timing? I am certain this is something dumb on my behalf, but I really don't get it. I just figured LIVE would sync everything and anything thrown at it as long as the metronome was on no matter the timing. Please help me to understand what I am doing wrong.

This would be a case where Stylus RMX is plugged in to a midi track of course and then recorded into an audio track. When the LIVE's time signature is set to 4/4, after the the newly recorded audio clip is launched it automatically syncs perfectly with Stylus RMX as it plays so that you cannot here a real variation between the two audio sources. The drums are in time with each other. When the time signature is set to 7/8 for instance, when the clip is launched after being recorded you get two distinctly different syncopated time signatures that don't mesh. ???
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Re: Syncing Odd Times with RMX in Live 6.0

Did you try to drag and drop the midifile from RMX into Live 6.0? That usually works.

RMX is not going to adapt to your 7/8 time signature by itself...so drag and drop and then quantize the slices to your taste is the best you can do...

Have fun with it!!!

Oh...and...I forgot to say...watch the tutorial video.

http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...ial-videos.php

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Reality Freak
    Oh...and...I forgot to say...watch the tutorial video.

http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...ial-videos.php
    Thanks brother! You're more help than you know. Not sure where to drag and drop the file from but I am certain the tutorial will lay it out.

in a couple words, are there better sequencers for adaptation to stylus? I think Live is pretty simple and that's a goofd thing cause so am I.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Quote Originally Posted by DrXparaMental
    in a couple words, are there better sequencers for adaptation to stylus?
    In one word : No.

RMX is not really "odd-time" savvy in the sense that it would automatically adapt its patterns to whatever time signature you set in your host (the way something like Virtual Guitarist would), that's a restriction of RMX, not Live.
    So you just have to drag and drop the pattern into your sequencer and edit it to fit your chosen time signature by adding/deleting/moving slices.

It's simple enough and if you've never used d'n'd with Rmx before you'll find it opens up a whole new set of possibilities...

PS: Definitely take the time to watch all the RMX tutorials...they will blow your mind...

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    In one word : No.

RMX is not really "odd-time" savvy in the sense that it would automatically adapt its patterns to whatever time signature you set in your host (the way something like Virtual Guitarist would), that's a restriction of RMX, not Live.
    So you just have to drag and drop the pattern into your sequencer and edit it to fit your chosen time signature by adding/deleting/moving slices.

It's simple enough and if you've never used d'n'd with Rmx before you'll find it opens up a whole new set of possibilities...

PS: Definitely take the time to watch all the RMX tutorials...they will blow your mind...
    Thanks for your input Matto, it's ALWAYS appreciated. The one thing that is just over the top mind blowing via the world of VST is it's incredible depth. It's limitless! As a person that puts in a 50 hour a week day gig it is sometimes tough to find time and energy to explore and learn as much as possible within the seemingly infinitesimal software universe. I'll tell you one thing though, it's sure as hell fascinating enough to keep me trying! The coolest thing about the entire electronic musical path is it's ability to help decrepit old bitchy beasties like yours truly from becoming too grounded creatively. Certainly the immense learning curves provide significant barriers to over come but those barriers are actually challenges. When compared to the limitlessly frustrating task of working and being dependent on other ego centric musicians, it's all too cool and welcome!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    M. C. Escher

Go Back to forum