• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sending Audio from Two Applications

Share/Bookmark

Sending Audio from Two Applications

Does anyone know how to get two audio applications (in this case, Console and Kontakt2 standalone) to send their audio outputs through one installed audio card (in this case an RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652) without the audio being ruined by click-and-pop?

I'm sending two pairs of stereo outputs per application. I have routed the audio for Kontakt2 standalone to outputs 1-2 & 3-4, and the audio for Console to outputs 5-6 & 7-8. I was told that I could run both applications on the same computer and have no problem as long as I kept the audio on separate channels... but I'm still getting click-and-pop. I'm sure the problem isn't a Word Clock issue, because I just bought and hooked up a Lucid GENx192 studio master clock, and everything is showing solid WC sync. Also, I have checked my resources and CPU usage, and it isn't maxing out at all. The click-and-pop only happens when both applications are sending audio at the same time -- if I mute one application, the click-and-pop disappears. That's why I'm pretty sure that this problem is caused by the two applications trying to send audio at the same time.

Here's my current set-up:

One CreationStation PC (Dual Core, WinXP Pro, ServicePack2, Intel Pentium D, 3.20 GHz & 3.21 GHz, 3.5 GB of RAM) running Pro Tools HD Core 1

Two Audio Interfaces: Digidesign 192 IO and Digidesign 192 Digital IO

Studio Master Clock: Lucid Genx192

Two CreationStation PCs (Dual Core, WinXP Pro, ServicePack2, Intel PentiumDs, 3.20 GHz & 3.21 GHz, 3.5 GB of RAM) attempting to run Console and Kontakt2 Standalone simultaneously, sending lightpipe audio and receiving Word Clock via RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 cards

Mac G5 (OSX vs.10.4.9 Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC, 8 GB DDR SDRAM) running two instances of Kontakt2 standalone, sending lightpipe audio and receiving Word Clock via RME Hammerfall DIGI 9652 card

I've been wrestling with this for weeks now -- if anyone knows what to do, please let me know!

Re: Sending Audio from Two Applications

Are you getting the problem from the G5 as well or just from the PC running console & Kontakt?

Are you running lightpipe to the 192s? Is that were the pops are showing up?

- we had an AWEFUL time getting lightpipe to sync with our 192 - so that COULD be the problem - although the LUCID should have helped for sure if it was word clock.

- Do you get the problem from the PC if you run ONLY kontakt OR Console, but not both at the same time?

Re-read your post - says you only have a problem when 1 of the programs is running.

I think you need a HOST software. What is Console? Can it function as a VST host? I'm thinking of the MOTU Console that ships with their interfaces but you don't have that interface - I'm confused about which software you're running.

Hi J. Whaley, thanks for your reply!

Console is a host vsti application -- you can get info about it here:
    http://console.jp/en/index.html

When I try to run the two applications by themselves (Kontakt2 standalone and Console hosting Kontakt2 plugins), they work perfectly -- only when I run the two applications together -and- my sequencer attempts to trigger samples coming from -both- applications at the same time that I start to get the click and pop problem.

I'm feeling like this is some sort of multiclient issue with my RME HDSP 9652 card and ASIO 2.0. I'm going to try to call Synthax and ask them about this -- I've followed all their instructions in the manual and combed their bulletin boards for clues, but I just can't see what I'm doing wrong here. -sigh-

Thanks for the help. Has anyone been able to get a setup like this to work? If so, how did you do it?

And what happens if you run Kontakt as a VSTi inside Console?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Alternatives that come into mind: ReWire or RME Total Mix (you would need a RME audio module for the second one).

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Buanann
    Hi J. Whaley, thanks for your reply!

Console is a host vsti application -- you can get info about it here:
    http://console.jp/en/index.html

When I try to run the two applications by themselves (Kontakt2 standalone and Console hosting Kontakt2 plugins), they work perfectly -- only when I run the two applications together -and- my sequencer attempts to trigger samples coming from -both- applications at the same time that I start to get the click and pop problem.

I'm feeling like this is some sort of multiclient issue with my RME HDSP 9652 card and ASIO 2.0. I'm going to try to call Synthax and ask them about this -- I've followed all their instructions in the manual and combed their bulletin boards for clues, but I just can't see what I'm doing wrong here. -sigh-

Thanks for the help. Has anyone been able to get a setup like this to work? If so, how did you do it?

Well that sounds like your problem - Kontakt shouldn't be used in standalone mode with Console - it should be run as a VST. Of course they're fighting for the same ports. Open Kontakt as a VST in Console and your problems should be solved.

J-

You could also try VST Stack as a VST host. I use multiple VSTs on a PC all the time with VST stack and it works fine. BUT if I were to try to run Gigasampler and VST stack it certainly would not work - absolutely not on windows. Windows is barely stable as it is so you shouldn't expect that to work. Cut out as many potential applications try to get to your sound card and stream line it.

Alternately - in MAC OSX I can run applications in parallel because of Core Audio - however, typically even if I'm running say Live and Logic at the same time, I still usually do it through re-wire and get everything into 1 application.

Hope this helps.

Go Back to forum