• Register
  • Help

Topic: A New Consecration

Share/Bookmark

A New Consecration

Honoring the sacrifice of the fallen in Afghanistan & Iraq.
    Redone in the new Kontackt player.

A redo of panning. THIRD TRY...

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5462399&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 06-17-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: edit panning

Re: A New Consecration

Hi, Gary

Your piece makes for a very interesting listen. I found myself constantly enjoying the surprises around each musical corner.

The tone and mood of the piece took me by surprise after reading your text intro. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was having difficulty meshing the music with thoughts about all the lives wasted in the war. Not a criticism, a comment on my personal reaction--complicated by how your theme is something everyone is bound to have strong and personal feelings about.

There were some odd things about the mix--The way the trumpets are grouped in an unusual place so far to the left. Proportions seemed off also. If you're wanting to create a natural orchestral layout, you may want to try the default panning in the Kontact Player. But perhaps you're wanting to create a unique layout, which of course if fine. It does sound like you have multiple instruments coming from exactly the same place--perhaps you're routing more than one instrument through a Kontact channel?

Most important thing I'm wanting to say is that I was intrigued by your composition. It made my brain's gears turn--music doesn't always do that!

Thank you very much.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I enjoyed this composition, Gary; some interesting thought
    in it that keeps one engaged and watchful for the next
    diversion.

But Gary... the mix; the panning... I don't understand why
    you would put some of these fellows just about off the
    stage over to the right, some behind the curtains on the
    left, and the rest leaning over the edge in the middle...lol.

Forgive me, my friend, for my humor; but that's the impression.
    I know grasping the matter of panning and reverb is giving
    you difficulty.

Pull all those fellows more back toward center, I would suggest;
    and perhaps give them a little more reverb, too.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks Randy,
    I re-did the panning. Reposted above.

For the mood of the piece-my effort was more of an effor† to
    create a "wailing" with plaintiff question and answer against a calm
    surrounding; cold and distant.

Thanks David,
    ON MY RE-POST above--
    My idea was; tuba, trombones and timpani Right; Horns, bassoon
    trumpets left; CLARINETS, OBOE & FLUTE CENTER.

Hello again, Gary

This re-mix sounds better, but I'm still not sure why you're doing such severe pannings, with most things either far right or far left.

"...my effort was more of an effor† to
    create a "wailing" with plaintiff question and answer against a calm surrounding; cold and distant..."

Perhaps you mean that besides the structure of the music, you are trying to convey the two opposing forces by separating them so much with the panning?

Are you using a different pan position for each instrument, or are things coming out of the same channel in the same position? It sounds like the latter, so the effect isn't so much stereo as a split recording of two mono tracks.

I'm sorry--I'm not clear what you're trying to do and I can't tell how much is unusual design choice and how much is from not quite understanding how to use reverb and panning.

For these instruments to be spread out in a more natural and conventional orchestral way would make your music more clear to ears wanting to hear a realistic stereo panorama. I find what you have, even in the new mix, is so distracting as to do harm to the listening experience--it's hurting your composition.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,
    I gave the mix another try.
    I set the instruments up in the same manner as setting up a centered position in a pre-computer typewriter.
    Each instrument was 3-4 numbers away from its closest neighbor.
    woodwinds inside; horns typmpani left; brass to the right.
    I think my next step may be to choose the defaul†...
    Thanks for hanging in there, Randy.
    Gary

Gary--You're a trouper. Thank YOU for hanging in with me. After my response to your second mix, I got a bit worried that I came down too hard. I'm relieved to see that you took the criticism in the spirit I intended it. Sometimes I can get so frustrated and caught up with trying to untangle tech problems when they're getting in the way of people's music.

And now--AAAAAAH! This third mix is SO much better! Don't you think so? The instruments all have some room around them, they're spread out nicely, and the sound is much nicer on the ears. I can hear your thoughtful composition without being distracted now by unsuccessful panning.

The use of reverb still needs work, but that's another page of the story--Maybe you could describe how you're using your reverb, maybe a screen shot of your mixer. We could probably get that going better also.

Hats off to you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

You're making progress, Gary!

Hang in there.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks Randy & David,
    I can assume that it's easier to make comments and leave it at that.
    As a Educator, I feel compelled to help when I can, but some people feel threatened by help. Not me...
    The two parts of reverb that stick out to me are one of the low register of clarinet, and the Tuba solo. Is that what you label "dry" Randy?
    Thanks

Gary

Go Back to forum