• Register
  • Help

Topic: Easiest way to start?

Share/Bookmark

Easiest way to start?

Howdy all,
    Been gone awhile - what is the easiest way of easing back into this?
    Using Sibelius 2 (fairly experienced with it) Overture (no experience), or whatever else came with GPO? I stink at the keyboards - and I'm not sure how cubase is even used. I generally write music strictly on paper.
    So the easiest way of getting the most out of GPO is?

Thank you for the help!

Re: Easiest way to start?

i used to use overture to write then export it as midi into sonar and do all my rendering. for me thats the way to get the best results. i now have a mac and i bought logic, and it has an icredible notation screen and rendering capabilities so no exporting is needed. i feel, and this is only the way i feel, that to achieve the most realistic sound you need to get good at DAWs (sonar, logic, cubase, etc.) because you can edit all the midi controls in them. others say all you need is good notation skills and you can get it done just as well in finale or sibelius, so i guess its more about what you're comfortable with.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I'm not sure there's a definitively easy way... as Keith said, "its more about what you're comfortable with."

I usually start out with a melody in my head and click it into Overture. I then harmonize it, plan out the piece a bit (though I usually change it completely by the time I'm finished, but it stops me from drawing a blank), then I orchestrate.

Also, I set up a "template" in Overture that I use whenever I start a new piece. It has all the instruments I tend to use already set up, the Ambience reverb all set up, along with the page formatted the why I like it. Then I can save the file as something else and dive right into the clicking-in-notes part. It certainly helps productivity!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks to you both. That's helpful, I need to start to play with it. Am I correct that It must be the dynamics that need controling to make it sound more realistic? And if so, then whatever program I'm comfortable with for doing that is what I should use?

Quote Originally Posted by bnlsrv
    Thanks to you both. That's helpful, I need to start to play with it. Am I correct that It must be the dynamics that need controling to make it sound more realistic? And if so, then whatever program I'm comfortable with for doing that is what I should use?
    Yep, generally the mod wheel data and velocity, but check the manual for the specifics of what you can do with each instrument. And, yep, you can use whatever program you're comfortable with. When I'm not being lazy, I use Overture's "Graphics Window" to draw in mod wheel data and vary the velocity.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

sean is right that you can use overtures to do some more advanced stuff, but i'm pretty sure you need a semi-decent DAW like sonar/logic or something to do certain things. the GPO stuff can use tons of different controllers to change the sound - the brass has some cool stuff to make it sound really intense (not sure which controller, but its in the manual). anyway, my point is that i think it is WELL worth the time it takes to learn a good DAW. i just dove into sonar and was totally overwhelmed at first, but it really opened my eyes to what you can do with midi data. i now use logic, and it has tons and tons of plugins that enhance the sound and things like that and makes my workflow a lot faster and it sounds a lot better in my opinion too. (you can listen to a couple tunes on my site to see what result i come up with)

i guess what matters the most is whether you want to just write music, or if you want to spend the time to make it sound as real as possible. if its the former, just stick with a notation program (easier and less $), but if its the latter you're after then go DAW.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I'm pretty new to this myself, but if it's any help, I just read in the manual that the Steinway is the easiest place to start.

The reason for this is that you only need to think about velocity and pedal points. No need to worry about CC 1 and all that stuff.

Thanks to all of you.
    I should probably start a new post about which tutorial on GPO is the shortest yet most detailed that walks a person through, start to finish, and ends up with a nice sounding piece.

Go Back to forum