• Register
  • Help

Topic: The new OSX Leopard

Share/Bookmark

The new OSX Leopard

does anyone know if the new Mac OSX is going to cause problems with GPO and Kontakt and all that stuff, or should it not be a problem. i'm just asking because i was checking it out and looks pretty incredible, but i don't want to get it until all the third party software is working with it. anyway, it won't be out for a few months, but i just wanted to get a head start. thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: The new OSX Leopard

good question, hopefully Gary or Tom will reply. I am sure they have been working on it.

I guess after so many years, I am always hesitant to upgrade my OS for this exact reason-- I JUST upgraded to 10.4 last week, mostly because I wanted to try out Sib 5. I doubt I will go to Leopard until everyone on this forum says they have no problems.
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

NO doubt it will mess up everything for us audio junkies.
    Dan

I would stay away from it, until you have to have it in order to run some new software, by then, they will have another animal for us to *BUY*

Where is the "shaking head" back and forth smiley?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I would stay away from it, until you have to have it in order to run some new software. . .
    I'm going to take this advice to heart.

Things are running pretty smoothly (well. . . almost pretty smoothly) with 10.4.9. Because I'm fairly new to the Mac world, I think I'm not going to jump into the newer OS anytime soon after it's out. I'm looking forward to utilizing more RAM for the sound libraries which (I think) OSX Leopard will provide its users. There are creative ways around the limited RAM situation, though. With an aging Dell Workstation loaded with sound libraries (including the Garritan libraries) and a Receptor loaded with sound libraries (again, including JABB and GPO), I'm set for now. It took me a while to get this set-up running relatively smoothly.

But. . . I'm tempted. . . I'm tempted. Upgrading too fast on audio/video related software is a weakness for me. This weakness has burnt me good in the past. I think I'll try something new this time. It's called "watch and wait". I'll let the more experienced users tame the Leopard then step in when it's safe.

Love the photo, Dan! LOL!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    I'm going to take this advice to heart.

T

Love the photo, Dan! LOL!
    Be careful... AU was apparently broken in one of the Developer releases. Not sure if was fixed or not... But in any case you should wait until Garritan, Finale, Sibelius, or whatever you're using, says it's "OK."

Keith Walls

its hard to refuse though. the new osx has some pretty awesome features, and i don't only use my computer for music - it is a big part, but not all. so i guess i'll just have to wait and hear from the developers.

what the switch to vista difficult?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum