• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ticket to Ride

Share/Bookmark

Ticket to Ride

I'm a little reluctant to post this, but I am just so impressed with Randy's excellent rendition of "Drive My Car" I thought I'd give it a go.

As I don't have the Garritan Strad, this is the regular ol' solo quartet strings from GPO:

Ticket to Ride, 3:15, 6Mb.

It's always interesting to see how these tunes are put together (especially after having listened to them for decades).

FAIR USE, for educational purposes only.

Re: Ticket to Ride

Hi, Darwin

You sure have put yourself in a tough place following Randy’s effort.
    I’m glad you have, as much for the opportunity to discuss such a project.
    The difficulty in doing this is, on one hand staying faithful to the original score, on the other deciding how playing it using a string quartet would necessitate change.
    I feel you’ve erred on the original a little too much. This is not a criticism, just my observation. More power too you for trying. The comparison to Randy’s piece which is inevitable also shows the difference the Strad makes to the power of the arrangement.

My Best

Ray

I beg to disagree - I love the delicacy of this arrangement. I don't get the impression that it's over-faithful to the original score: what I hear is Trademark Darwin ! - and it's a real pleasure. I don't miss the Strad at all - I'd rather hear all the instruments and admire the work.
    (HOW do you guys get the time to do these arrangements so quickly ? I would love to join in, but the day job gets in the way and I can't even finish my existing projects ! One of these days....)

Sorry Viv

Ray

Darwin!

OK---Let's start another page here in the Garritan family of Forums:

The Beatles String Quartet
    Recital Hall
    I love your "Ticket To Ride"--It's a very nifty adaptation, clever Pizz giving it some drive and suggesting percussion. All the way through you made the translation from rock quartet to string quartet smooth and thoroughly enjoyable.

And wheeeee isn't this stuff fun to do? Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You Rock! And The Beatles live!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ray,

Yes, I expected this to be compared to Randy's quartet, which is why I was reluctant to post it. But having spent a couple evenings on it, I thought some might find hearing the GPO solo strings alone in a similar quartet setting instructive.

There really isn't much "arrangement" here, per se, other than mapping the transcription from guitar, bass, drums, and vocals to the string quartet. I did try to add some variances and little original snippets here and there, and obviously the ending is new. I considered jazzing it up more, but with The Beatles, it's a little like rewriting Shakespeare. On the other hand, the original is oddly somewhere between the keys of A and Ab but this is solidly in A, so that's novel.

Viv,

Trademark Darwin, Ha! I have no idea what this is but I'll go register it right away. The secret to productivity is don't have a day job. Unfortunately, this impinges on one's ability to purchase additional samples - always a trade-off.

Randy,

You know, I wouldn't mind hearing ten or twelve Beatles tunes done up as string quartets. I'm surprised someone hasn't already done it (or have they?). Part of the problem is getting the melodic inflections right, as well as the correct harmony and rhythms. And then there's the overall "feel" of it. There's plenty of dorky elevator muzak versions of this stuff out there. That's what I liked most about your "Drive My Car" - definitely not muzaky at all.
    You can drive my car, or get a ticket to ride, just don't miss the revolution. Alright!

Hello again, Darwin

I appreciate the "Non-Muzakky" comment about my little effort. It can certainly be said about yours also.

And I'm glad you said more in your new post about the fun you had doing this project and that how posting it could also be instructive.

It could be interesting to hear my "Drive My Car" arrangement performed with just the GPO solo strings. I can assure you the lead line wouldn't be nearly as impressive sounding. What does one expect?--The Strad is the same size and cost of the entire GPO library, it's bound to be a bit --well, better sounding.

As always, for me the main interest in what we post here is the arrangement and/or composition itself. Sure, it's great when the best possible sounds are used, and when the musician knows how to make a rendering or recording sound as good as possible--but that's all icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned.

As was said about my Beatles quartet, just imagine how much better it'd sound with the solo Gofriller Cello--well yeah! Fun thought, but not what I had available.

--I still want a Beatles Quartet Recital Hall Forum.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    The Beatles String Quartet
    Recital Hall
    Ah yes ... it is the year 1863 and a new ensemble has taken the salons of Europe by storm ... four dapper young gentlemen from the north of England who, with their strangely-coiffed hair and sartorial eccentricities, are causing young ladies everywhere to swoon in admiration, and are rapidly revitalizing the previously staid and formulaic world of the string quartet! Why, I think I see Sir Paul, with his famous left-handed cello ...
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

A fine arrangement of this for string quartet, Darwin; well
    thought out, and, I felt, quite faithful to the source material.

Perhaps a bit more attention to articulations and accents;
    but I thought the writing quite good!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I think it is so great that people find different ways to express songs. I liked this very much. I think rbowser is right. We need to start a beatles string quartet recital hall. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast