• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone willing to share their GPO MIDI files?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone willing to share their GPO MIDI files?

I finally saved the cash to replace my old PC! At last, I can load my sequencer, GPO and more than 3 instruments simultaneously . Now I'm looking for some MIDI files used for GPO that I can load into my sequencer (Tracktion) so I can configure the appropriate instruments and see how GPO works by-example.

I posted some questions about getting MIDI files in the Support forum (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52112) and it looks like there are no MIDI files for GPO in the Garritan Demos section (unless I haven't searched hard enough in the Garritan site). So I was wondering, maybe there are people in the forum willing to share some of their compositions for GPO in MIDI format? (along with a list of instruments used per track, of course, so I can set them up in my sequencer). Although I'm most interested in Hollywood-style compositions, any kind of orchestral style will do.

Thank you all for your help!

Re: Anyone willing to share their GPO MIDI files?

Quote Originally Posted by luisto
    I finally saved the cash to replace my old PC! At last, I can load my sequencer, GPO and more than 3 instruments simultaneously . Now I'm looking for some MIDI files used for GPO that I can load into my sequencer (Tracktion) so I can configure the appropriate instruments and see how GPO works by-example.

I posted some questions about getting MIDI files in the Support forum (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52112) and it looks like there are no MIDI files for GPO in the Garritan Demos section (unless I haven't searched hard enough in the Garritan site). So I was wondering, maybe there are people in the forum willing to share some of their compositions for GPO in MIDI format? (along with a list of instruments used per track, of course, so I can set them up in my sequencer). Although I'm most interested in Hollywood-style compositions, any kind of orchestral style will do.

Thank you all for your help!
    Check out Gary Watchel's MIDIs over at http://garyw0001.com/mid_libs.html . I used his Star Spangled Banner MIDI for practicing with GPO and got a lot out of the experience. As I recall, when I imported the file into Sonar the clips were all correctly named and it was a breeze to get started. Looks like he might have some of what you're looking for.

Good luck!
    Jon

i don't mind sharing a thing or two, but i think you'd be better off using a traktion file rather than a midi file. that way you can see how people use plugins, how they adjust the kontakt settings, etc. with midi you're just going to get the notes and the controls for the most part.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Keith, Getting a Tracktion file instead of a MIDI file would be great, but I'm guessing relatively few people use Tracktion compared to other, more popular sequencers such as Cubase or Sonar. If anyone in the forum can share a Tracktion file (or MIDI file created for GPO), I'd appreciate it a lot!

Jon, regarding the MIDI files in Gary Watchel's site, I downloaded a couple of demos and they sound really good! However, since they are not made specifically for GPO, they don't use GPO features such as Modulation Wheel, Sustain Pedal, Keyswitching, etc. That's why a MIDI file exported by a GPO user would be more helpful to me...

Quote Originally Posted by luisto
    Jon, regarding the MIDI files in Gary Watchel's site, I downloaded a couple of demos and they sound really good! However, since they are not made specifically for GPO, they don't use GPO features such as Modulation Wheel, Sustain Pedal, Keyswitching, etc. That's why a MIDI file exported by a GPO user would be more helpful to me...
    Ah, got it. What I did was take a Wathcel file and use it while I worked through the tutorials at Garritan.com (adding Mod wheel, sustain and keyswitching in the piano roll view) . But I definitely see the value of what you are looking for. Best of luck!

Jon

I'd like to chime in here.

I think it would be great to have some short MIDI files that show the events for some really good GPO lines. This would allow the learner to see how an expert user manges the velocities, mod wheel and other controllers.

The area where this would be of most value, IMO, is for extended solo lines where realism is so important.

I'd personally vote for a Sonar version but could see the value of a more generic MIDI file.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Paul's GPO Sonar tutorial comes with some sample files, although I didn't use them, as I made up my own example. Here's the tutorial. (In some cases links to the sample files are marked, in some cases they aren't.)

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO-Sonar-Tutorial.htm
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hi, luisto

I'm glad you took the advice to post your request here.

I've sent you a PM, and am posting here also in case you see it first--I've made a standard MIDI 1 file from one of my pieces, and I've written down some notes of things to look for--Ready to send it all to you.

Please respond to the PM by sending me an email to the address I gave you, so I'll have an email for sending off what I have ready for you.

Even though this isn't a Tracktion file, meaning you won't be able to see Everything I did, at least you'll see how I worked with MIDI controllers, and hopefully it'll be instructive.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum