• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Oh No! UK Braces for Ukelele Shortage

Share/Bookmark

Oh No! UK Braces for Ukelele Shortage

"There's a nice piece in The Times today claiming that Britain is facing a shortage of ukuleles, with most supplies sold out until a ship arrives from China in June. They're blaming the craze on the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, although I suspect enthusiastic MT coverage is to blame. ...

Music shops are reporting a national shortage of ukuleles after being caught out by a surprise British love affair with the Hawaiian instrument.

The four-stringed, instrument, beloved of George Formby and George Harrison, has become so popular in recent months that Chinese manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.

A ship of ukuleles is currently on its way to Britain from Shanghai, Britain’s main importer told The Times, but shops from London to Sheffield are warning customers not to expect new stock until next month. "
    Perhaps a Ukelele sample library is needed. But can a sample library ever match this 4 stringed wonder?

Re: Oh No! UK Braces for Ukelele Shortage

Got mine in April! Actually, I really did. I don't know why - with my arthritis I have a hard time playing the thing but I suddenly decided I wanted one and bought one. Call me crazy in my old age . . .
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

a ukelele shortage? OH THANK GOD!!!

now, if He could only bring a plague down on bagpipes and soprano recorders

See? I told you this would happen!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    a ukelele shortage? OH THANK GOD!!!

now, if He could only bring a plague down on bagpipes and soprano recorders
    LOL!!!!

While we're at it, can we add melodicas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee

Got mine in April! Actually, I really did. I don't know why - with my arthritis I have a hard time playing the thing but I suddenly decided I wanted one and bought one. Call me crazy in my old age . . .
    Quick! Sample it before the next shortage!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    [INDENT]"There's a nice piece in The Times today claiming that Britain is facing a shortage of ukuleles, with most supplies sold out until a ship arrives from China in June. They're blaming the craze on the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, although I suspect enthusiastic MT coverage is to blame. ...
    Friends, please don't be fooled! Gary is simply trying to scare us. The reason GPOA has been delayed is because of the GAU (Garritan Advanced Ukulele) Library that will be released soon. He's simply trying to drive up sales - if you can't have the real thing, order GAU now.

Be warned! Graham

Never mind the Ukulele just send the gals

Is it possible that GPO could help alleviate the shortage by offering ukulele samples for download?

They said on TV that the old (non Chinese) ones that were painted to look like a pineapple are worth like a gazillion bucks or something. If you have an old one like that in your attic that you are not going to need, you can send it to me.

Go Back to forum