• Register
  • Help

Topic: cymbal rakes (brush and stick)

Share/Bookmark

cymbal rakes (brush and stick)

I have several very nice drum libs, but one -glaring- omission which kills me is the absence of various 'non-standard' cymbal hits.

Actually, these are -totally- 'standard' for me as an ex-half-assed drummer.

1. Cymbal rakes across the top and the edge. Brushes and sticks.

2. Various whacks against the cymbal stands.

Any recommendations?

I'm not looking for complete kits. Just those hits on a variety of cymbals.

Thanks in advance!

---JC

Re: cymbal rakes (brush and stick)

No one?

Wow.

---JC

Well it's not quite what you want, but I did some stuff a while ago where I plunged cymbals into water. I know with one of them Idid some scrapes round the rim and across the surface with a metal triangle beat, and with a wooden stick. I can't remember if I did this at discrete pitches, or whether I only did water-glissando versions; I know with most articulations I did both.

The project is here

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808475188

I think it's probably the Zildjan which has the scrapes, but I'm not entirely sure, and I can't find the relevant backup disc right now to look at an uncompressed version of the folders.

By the way, there is an articulation of bowed samples which are being submerged (or pulled out of water) at the same time as being bowed - it makes an absolutely stunning effect, if I do say so myself - worth downloading just for those.

Thanks!

This is very generous, even if it isn't what I started out looking for. Sometimes, the unexpected find is the best. I've loved these types of effects since college orchestra days.

If nothing else, I'm now totally ready if I get called to do the new 'Gamera vs. Mothra' re-make.

CHEERS!!!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Well it's not quite what you want, but I did some stuff a while ago where I plunged cymbals into water. I know with one of them Idid some scrapes round the rim and across the surface with a metal triangle beat, and with a wooden stick. I can't remember if I did this at discrete pitches, or whether I only did water-glissando versions; I know with most articulations I did both.

The project is here

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808475188

I think it's probably the Zildjan which has the scrapes, but I'm not entirely sure, and I can't find the relevant backup disc right now to look at an uncompressed version of the folders.

By the way, there is an articulation of bowed samples which are being submerged (or pulled out of water) at the same time as being bowed - it makes an absolutely stunning effect, if I do say so myself - worth downloading just for those.

Anyone else?

I really need these. It's -amazing- they aren't part of any commercial lib I can find.

TIA,

---JC

Go Back to forum