• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Pretty disapointed with Samplelogic A.I.R.

Share/Bookmark

Pretty disapointed with Samplelogic A.I.R.

When I first got this library, I was pretty stoked to hear some sounds that were quite usable for what I was trying to do. After using it for some time now, that has very much worn off and I am pretty sad that I paid $300 for this. About ninety percent of the sounds are horror soundtrack stuff, so much of it is dismal and dark. There is virtually no customization of the sounds, no ADSR for amp or filter (major setback). Most of the sounds I do like are more like chords, so I am not able to use them tonally as I would like. I want to decide for myself if the sound is going to be used in a major or minor key, not have the sound decide for me. On top of that, I have found that some sounds seem to be quite out of tune, or at least don't fit in as they should when I play the root note of the key I am in. Maybe I am spoiled from Atmosphere, but man, I feel like I paid $300 for maybe ten usable sounds that I can't customize really at all. The delay, phaser and reverb are almost useless as they are sent pre-filter (can be a cool effect, but I don't like being restricted in this way). Also- the instrument loop stuff can not be changed with tempo independent of pitch, so the tempo of my song will dictate the key, if I can even get it to line up right timing wise. Seriously disapointed.

Re: Pretty disapointed with Samplelogic A.I.R.

I can't agree more.

Even with atmoshphere, alot of the sounds are not really musical to a point, to where they jsut don't work when i try them in most musical attempts, they have like a sound of their own, one note wonders, so even though I love atmosphere, alot of the really cool patches just don't work musically as well as they work from a sound design persepctive.

AIR, well it is pretty specific in its use I think. I personally love it and have found use in lots of ways, whether it be a unique hit or swell, certainly works really well for electronic and ambient type of music, and yes of course moody and scary stuff, its perfect for. I have found good use for it, at least for what I have worked on in the past. Some very cool arps as well.

I agree with the effects placement however, should be after the filter, or at least the option to.
    www.energiestudios.com

Isn't that a Kontakt instrument? You should be able to open the patches in K2 and have access to ADSR, etc (if you have Kontakt, that it).

I too think it's kind of high priced, but the sounds are quite good.

I do think the developer could have put more effort into creating a useful interface- just look at Chris Hein guitars for an example of how it can be done. The "you can open it in K2" argument is a poor excuse, I think.

Nigel

Well, that's bad news about AIR, but maybe its just more for people with a different focus in how they will apply it. I do like the sounds in the demos. I agree about Atmosphere as well; it's a great product and I use it a lot but much of it is definitely more "sound design" and less for playing.

I know Bela D. has their D-synth in the works and it may be just what the doctor ordered. I don't know a lot about it yet but I've had talks with Brian S. who's putting it together and I get the definite impression that it is designed to act like a very versatile synth with tweakable parameters and lots of options. Also, I know he has a ton of different synthesis types as the basis of his patches; analog, additive, samples, granular- I'm hoping for a synth that doesn't have that "sameness" from sound to sound because it's all generated by the same kind of source and I really think that's what he's after.

I *think* I may be able to give a detailed report relatively soon, keep your fingers crossed...

Yeah,

I don't think AIR is really a synth per say, but more of a creative and unique sound library that really works well for some instances. I have found it very different even from atmoshphere and just use some patches and hits here and there to add a new sound. Its not really a synth per say though, and if that is what one expects I can see how they would be let down. I find the pads more musical though then alot in atmosphere, but of course they are very moody, so they just won't work with all things. Overall I don't regret getting air one bit and I love its added flavor to my sound pallette, you can actually listen to one of the songs I did using AIR completely on their site, the song "breath" such intresting sounds I think, great for sound design too.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    ....alot of the sounds are not really musical to a point, to where they jsut don't work when i try them in most musical attempts, they have like a sound of their own, one note wonders, so even though I love atmosphere, alot of the really cool patches just don't work musically as well as they work from a sound design persepctive....
    Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    ...I agree about Atmosphere as well; it's a great product and I use it a lot but much of it is definitely more "sound design" and less for playing.....
    You know...I really get the sense from these comments that you guys are not venturing past the Ambience category in Atmosphere.

Am I right? :-)

The vast MAJORITY or patches in Atmosphere are totally playable in any key and with chords etc. It's ONLY the ambiences that have a built-in tonality and are more for playing single notes/octaves/fifths, etc.

Since Ambiences starts with "A" - and the directory is alphabetized by category - it just happens to be the first category of patches presented.

You guys really need to check out a lot more of what's in there...after all, it's more than 1000 patches and 2000 layer combinations. The Ambiences are actually a small part of the core library.

....this has been a friendly reminder from the creator... ;-)

spectrum

I have to agree with Eric that indeed there are some superb playable patches in other catagories. I have been browsing the Synth section recently and also Evolving moods.
    The Solo and String sections are also fabulous...

Noises are also usable though as has been said they are not as musical as some of the other sections, but are very useful.

I never bothered with AIR in the end as I have some synths that can cover those areas...

Regards

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

I'm glad Eric jumped in on this thread, because my jaw was on the ground reading comments about Atmosphere being more about sound design than musical playing...

I'm plugged in pretty good here in Nashville, and I know of no professional keyboardist/programmer/producer who feels that way about it. We all LOVE it FOR it's musicality.

I understand some of all of this can be subjective, but with no disrespect intended, those comments are just plain wacked...

Go Back to forum