• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lite polyphony not working for me.....

Share/Bookmark

Lite polyphony not working for me.....

Hi!

I'm working with Fruity Loops And JABB, sounds really great. my only problem is, that i only have 1GB Ram and so i can't afford opening a channel/instrument. so i wanted so write 3 voices in one channel (loaded Lite version of the trumpets), but only one sounded when playing notes at the same time.....
    the polyphony field shows me max. 3/8...?

thanks for helping me out
    TOm

Re: Lite polyphony not working for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by tommassak
    Hi!

I'm working with Fruity Loops And JABB, sounds really great. my only problem is, that i only have 1GB Ram and so i can't afford opening a channel/instrument. so i wanted so write 3 voices in one channel (loaded Lite version of the trumpets), but only one sounded when playing notes at the same time.....
    the polyphony field shows me max. 3/8...?

thanks for helping me out
    TOm
    Tom,

There are two different types of Lite instruments in JABB. There is the Lite versions within each subfolder. For example, if you go into the Trumpet folder, you'll see Trumpet 1 Open, Trumpet 1 Cup, Trumpet 1 KS, etc... and Trumpet 1 Lite. This instrument will not give you polyphonic ability.

You have to go into the Lite Instruments Folder, then to the instrument subfolder. From within this directory structure you will find instrument files that allow polyphonic performance. Here, you need to set the polyphony to the number of simultaneous voices you want; it will default as 1. If you don't have this folder, you need to download a JABB update.

thanks very very much, that's the mistake....

but what are the differences between the two lites?

tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommassak
    thanks very very much, that's the mistake....

but what are the differences between the two lites?

tom
    The original lites are just lite versions of the monophonic instrument files. That is, they take up less memory and don't use all the controllers and programming.

The folder of lite polyphonic instrument files was added after the request from several users for this polyphonic feature. Again the files lack all the controllers and programming, but they allow for easy sketching of polyphonic lines.

Hi, Tom

I see tfishbein82 helped you straighten out all that Lite instrument confusion.

But notice the very important caveat about using the Lites:

"...the files lack all the controllers and programming, but they allow for easy sketching of polyphonic lines..."

Those are intended for temporary sketch-pad working, but not for good full recordings of your work. To not have full control over the instruments the way they're programmed, is to rob them of much of their strength.

I understand you're saying you have limitations:

"...i only have 1GB Ram and so i can't afford opening a channel/instrument..."

I have "only" 1GB Ram also but use on the average, 30 to 60 instruments per project, a combination of GPO and JABB. For the work I do, I don't often work with fewer instruments, and I certainly want all the instruments to be of full industrial strength flexibility!

How do I do that? --At first it was a compromise that I rebelled against and hated, but I adjusted surprisingly quickly. -I bounce tracks to audio as soon as I can, while a work is in progress.

You may think that's out of the question the way I did at first--But necessity is the mother of invention, as we all know. It is THE work-around to your CPU's limitation, and I'm confident you would soon be comfortable with working that way.

A bit more explanation--In an orchestral piece, I first work with just one instrument for each section. One Flute instead of the three I'll end up with. One Oboe, etc. One string line which as I progress on the arrangement, becomes the full string section, 1st V, 2nd V, Violas, Cellos and Basses.

I am able to hear the arrangement pretty much in full, I just don't have all the instruments playing that I'll eventually need. When I'm happy with what I have, then I start bouncing tracks to audio, still keeping them separate--And now I've freed up most of my resources to developing more MIDI tracks which I work on while listening to Audio play back of the master tracks. You see?

All that is much better than resorting to the Lites for your final mixes.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum