• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinberg Cubase 4 Studio on Intel Mac

Share/Bookmark

Steinberg Cubase 4 Studio on Intel Mac

Just got this the other week and I'm having fun with it. I like how Steinberg allows you to load separate VIs per track or as a VST. Neat. Multi channel VIs like HALion Symphonic Orchestra or Kontakt 2 work soooo much better on Cubase than in Logic. Also, the rendering is much better than trying to do it on MOTU DP5. There are still a few bugs that need to be worked out but nothing too substantial.

I was intially worried about using Vienna SE on Cubase but it works fine. My only gripe is that of Cubase's notation editor. Unlike Logic or DP, it seems to interpret MIDI messages much more specifically than the others. If I'm playing a syncopated 8th note line it sometimes uses 16th notes tied together or some such nonsense. DP has the best transcription of the lot in my experience but is a nightmare on other levels to navigate around on. SO I'll stick with Cubase Studio 4. Also, it's nice that the program runs pretty light and the MOtif waveforms that come with the HALion player are really authentic. I sometimes miss my Motif board (I have a Kurzweil PC1SE) so it's great to get those sounds back.

Re: Steinberg Cubase 4 Studio on Intel Mac

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    My only gripe is that of Cubase's notation editor. Unlike Logic or DP, it seems to interpret MIDI messages much more specifically than the others. If I'm playing a syncopated 8th note line it sometimes uses 16th notes tied together or some such nonsense.
    There are many MIDI interpretation options to tweak in the Score Settings window's Staff page, for example the Syncopation setting. It's also a good idea to try different Display Quantize settings for notes and rests. You have read the manual, haven't you?

Quote Originally Posted by -Yki-
    There are many MIDI interpretation options to tweak in the Score Settings window's Staff page, for example the Syncopation setting. It's also a good idea to try different Display Quantize settings for notes and rests. You have read the manual, haven't you?
    with Cubase 4 Studio you don't get a printed manual. But I have consulted the PDF one numerous times. Don't worry, I love this program. My work flow is way faster than working with DP or Logic.

with Cubase 4 Studio you don't get a printed manual.
    I recommend printing it out, if you're serious about the score editor.

But I have consulted the PDF one numerous times.
    And do you still have problems with the MIDI interpretation? I'm really interested to know what your problems were, because I think Cubase's MIDI interpretation is better than, say, Sibelius 4's (which I have too).

I recommend printing it out, if you're serious about the score editor.

And do you still have problems with the MIDI interpretation? I'm really interested to know what your problems were, because I think Cubase's MIDI interpretation is better than, say, Sibelius 4's (which I have too).
    It looks as though you can do a few things after you gave recorded a part to make the part prettier but it's a bit of work. DP pretty much shows you what you've played perfectly without the tweeking. So you are saying that there are settings I can use that will allow Cubase to translate my realtime playing into more legible notation? I seem to have missed that in my reading....

So you are saying that there are settings I can use that will allow Cubase to translate my realtime playing into more legible notation? I seem to have missed that in my reading....
    Yes, I mean the various display quantize and other interpretation settings on the Staff page of the Score Settings window.

But Cubase has no "guess everything automagically" function that would know what you meant, without having to specify if the song is mainly 1/8 or 1/16 based, and things like that. I'd like to know how DP does that.

Yes, I mean the various display quantize and other interpretation settings on the Staff page of the Score Settings window.

But Cubase has no "guess everything automagically" function that would know what you meant, without having to specify if the song is mainly 1/8 or 1/16 based, and things like that. I'd like to know how DP does that.
    I think it has to do with thre PPQ. I think Cubase has far higher resolution than DP or Logic which would explain why it's harder to get exact timings.

Hmm. I doubt if PPQ can be the problem. I'm asking you these questions because I think Cubase's MIDI interpretation is nothing short of amazing, but you need to tell it a little bit about what kind of notation you want.

Go Back to forum