• Register
  • Help

Topic: CDs From America to the U.K.?

Share/Bookmark

Question CDs From America to the U.K.?

i wanted to send my grandmother who lives in the U.K. a CD with some of my tunes on it (I live in the U.S.), but i'm curious if it will play in her CD player. i know that DVDs have different regions, so they won't play from country to country, but is the same true with CDs burned off a computer? this might be a dumb question, but any input would be fantastic. thanks guys.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: CDs From America to the U.K.?

It should work fine.

There aren't any regional concerns with CD audio. There is a standard called Redbook which has official guidelines for CD audio to ensure it plays in any CD player.
    As long as the audio files you are burning are 44.1 khz 16-bit .wavs you should be fine and; in fact most burning programs convert them to this when making an AUDIO cd (as opposed to an MP3 cd or something like that) but starting with that will ensure the best quality; starting with, say, an MP3 and having the media program convert it may\will alter the quality somewhat.
    I've also heard that for maximium compatibility (min. errors) between different CD players to burn the disc at a slower speed (ie 2x).

On a useless side note, if you were burning a DVD, you should be able to make it region free anyway.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Yes, should be no problems (other than Grandma overdoing it whilst bopping to your bangin' techno tunes!) - I second the advice about copying your CD at the lowest possible speed, 2x and 4x are pretty reliable.

Get down, Grandma!

regards,

Barrie

[QUOTE=chesterdesmond]There aren't any regional concerns with CD audio. There is a standard called Redbook which has official guidelines for CD audio to ensure it plays in any CD player.
    QUOTE]

Although this standard seems to have changed a few times during the lifespan of CDs - particularly the way the tracks are indexed. A lot of older players won't even see the contents of more recent CDs - and homeburned discs, in my experience, always fall into the category of discs that a slightly fussy player will be fussy about.

Go Back to forum