• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Larry Seyer's Upright Acoustic Bass

Share/Bookmark

Larry Seyer's Upright Acoustic Bass

Today I have heared this demofile and was impressed:

http://www.larryseyer.com/media/LSUPRIGHTBASS2_demo.mp3

Larry,

did you perhaps plan a new version of this great Acoustic Bass for the Kontakt 2?

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Larry Seyer's Upright Acoustic Bass

I would be interested to know this as well.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

THAT- is a wonderful idea.

This library is for GIGA 2.5 so it should import nicely into Kontakt, no?

There's so much that can be done to breathe new life into old libs with advanced programming and scripts now though, especially when the sounds were top notch to begin with...

It's the first Lib. I ever bought, right when I got Giga Sampler.

I have to say it's exceptionally playable and has a great feeling under my fingers on the keyboard.

I have a few complaints about how the sounds were recorded.

There are some notes in some of the instruments ( possibly all of the instruments ) that do not have a clean ringing sound to them. That is to say the only option for some of the notes is that you get the buzz of the string against the fret board.
    This makes it quite difficult to use it with out sounding like the bass players instrument is damaged or in desperate need of repairs.

Well, that probably was the case. Why would they settle for all A notes having a buzz on them if the bass was able to produce an A note that was clean?

EDIT:
    Just to be more clear, I was using the "A" note as an example, as I didn't remember which exactly it was. The most obvious to me is F# 2.

On F# 2 you ~can~ get a clean note at the lowest velocity, but then to get a match with adjacent notes isn't easy, for me.

My main complaint is that it's not easy to avoid the buzzing in general.
    But it can be done.
    END OF EDIT:

It has 4 velocity layers in one of the instruments, the one I've come to use most, but the bottom 2 are the same sample.

The obvious fix for the buzz notes is to save it as a new instrument and delete the offending regions and stretch an adjacent one to cover the note.

It would probably work fine that way, I just haven't tried it.

Other than that, I've still gotta say I've never felt a more playable jazzy, feeling, bass and it responds very convincingly to the pitch wheel also.

[quote=Steve_Karl]
    This makes it quite difficult to use it with out sounding like the bass players instrument in damaged or in desperate need of repairs.quote]

Being from Austin, Texas, I know Larry and this particular bass (and its owner) well. I'm responding to this thread to let you know that the bass used in the sampling is probably the ugliest bass I've ever seen, but it's also one of the best sounding I've ever heard, as the samples attest. I've forwarded your question on to Larry and will report back if I get a response from him.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Looking forward to any input from Larry on this.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Everybody,

I forwarded this thread on to Larry, and he has no official response to offer, so I guess that means you'll just have to wait it out and see what happens. If it shows up, go for it. If not, then there wasn't an upgrade. He didn't offer any reasons one way or the other, so we'll just have to take it as a "no comment" and leave it at that.

Larry is one of the best people I know, so please don't read anything negative into this. It's very common for manufacturers to not comment on future upgrades and product decisions. Eric Persing, on the Virtual Instruments forum is famous (infamous?) for his refusal to divulge any secrets, and everybody on the SIbelius chat site has been trying to pry update features and dates out of Daniel for the last year. Thank goodness Sibelius 5 is announced and about to ship. I'm not sure who is happier, him or us ;-)
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Thanks Paul - not really conclusive reply I was looking for but appreciate your efforts.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum