• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I'm enjoying K. Hunter's VS Pro, BUT....

Share/Bookmark

I'm enjoying K. Hunter's VS Pro, BUT....

...I'm experiencing a very annoying problem in Kontakt 2 that only seems to be associated with the VS Pro sample programs. Today I replaced a violin, viola, & cello part (formerly EWQLSO Platinum) with the VS Concert Strings Violin, viola, and cello (non-muted). Kontakt could not play all 3 together (just slow 3 finger chords on each instrument played simutaneously) without crackles and pops. I kept messing with the DFD settings, but without having to use a rediculous amount of RAM, I could not stop the problem. I finally gave up and rendered the tracks to audio. With my EWQLSO Platinum and Kontakt I am able to play 4 times as much at the same time without any problems. Is anyone else having this problem with VS Pro?

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: I'm enjoying K. Hunter's VS Pro, BUT....

Sean, I only have the Concert strings. I had the pop noises a few times. I reloaded the instrument and all was fine. Maybe try that. As far as playing together, I have not had that problem at all. Joseph

What is the CPU usage meter showing on your host while this is going on?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

It show about 50%

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

50% with how many tracks and voices? What would the CPU show for the same midi tracks being played by Emerald?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

The CPU didn't change much when I swapped the ESQLSO Platinum strings for the KH VS Pro strings. I'm using about 30 tracks of Kontakt and Battery 3. I even switched the Concert Strings to another HD (I have 5 in my system) to see if that would help, but it didn't. I'll keep foolling with it, though.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Interesting. So cpu use about the same, but somehow Kontakt2 with VSP is cutting out the sound more. Wierd.

The RAM usage was definitely higher, BUT I used Kontakt sample purge function as to only load the samples that I needed for the track which reduced the RAM back to close to what I was originally using before.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

This is kinda out there, but do EW Platinum strings utilize round robin as part of the instrument? VSPro (and KHSO Emerald) use a lot of round robin scripting as an integral part of its setup, so in essence you're getting a two-samples-for-the-price-of-one whe it comes to your memory usage when you switch over. Just a guess on my part.

Also, when you purge your samples, do you get drop outs when you play back the sequence again? I get this occasionally, so I'm thinking that Kontakt forgets to include the second round robin samples when it does a purge. Any thoughts?

Steve

I'm not sure why EWQLSO plays fine with Kontakt, but it does. After 8 hours of messing with KH VS Pro, I have officially thrown in the towel. I tried just about everything I could think of, including throwing the violins, violas, and cellos all on separate HD's. VS sound great, but is not practical for me unless I am only using 1 or 2 programs at the most. I'm not too upset, though. It was only $280 dollars (killer price for the quality) and I know eventually I will be able to use VS Pro the way I want to use it next year when I buy a more powerful CPU.

Sean Dockery
    Pentium 4 DualCore 3.0Ghz
    ASUS P5LD2 MB
    3Gb O' RAM
    400G SATA HD's (x5)
    30" Apple Cinema Monitor
    Win XP Pro- service pack 2

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Go Back to forum