• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Morning

Share/Bookmark

Morning

When I posted "experiment #1" I'd spent so much time at it that it was virtually cast in stone. So this time I thought I'd do the opposite, and give you the chance to influence a piece in its formative stages.

This new one is called Morning, and it's supposed to evoked the feeling of early morning, maybe even at this time of year, when it can be light while it's still quiet.

The link has the first 4 bars as MP3, as unmixed MIDI, and as a JPG of the staff view:

http://www.box.net/shared/neu7q67rul

Now, the thing is, it doesn't sound as sensitive and delicate on the MP3 as it does in my head. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make it more human?

BTW I've now downloaded and installed the Ambience reverb, and the effect on this one is called "Piano Hall 1".
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Re: Morning

Hi diligamus, the first suggestion I would make is a softer approach or initial attack of the strings or winds ... not sure what the opening instrument is? And maybe use calando or ritardando, "getting slower as well as softer", after the first 2 bars. Maybe try a different register - an octave up? Or a nice quiet horn suspension through the entire 4 bars to soften things.? Well, I hope this helps a bit. However I do sense right away a feeling of tranquility when listening to the theme. I think you off to a great start! Please keep us posted!

Michael

Don't forget that the brass section can also be very "sensitive and delicate" when arranged properly.
    Last edited by Michael A. Wiktor; 06-21-2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: idea?
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Michael, these are great ideas -- and things I never would have thought of! Thank you for posting them.

PS the initial instrument is the piccolo, so it can certainly go an octave higher and have less attack.

OK, my first honest gut reaction about the piccolo is: that instrument my not come off as "sensitive and delicate". But, thats just my opinion! In my work Monarch I highlighted the piccolo and used it to "cut" through the top layer of the winds to detail some rapid passages. Anyway, let me know how is goes!

Michael

PS Even try the flute in it's mid to lower ranges with only a few other voices added; very soft... but maybe a little too dark ... i don't know?????
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

The MP3 sounds good to me, but if you want it even more sensitive or delicate you could fade in each new instrument, add panning for a feeling of space, and build up dynamics very slowly as if awakening.
    I am curious to hear how it continues!

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird
    The MP3 sounds good to me, but if you want it even more sensitive or delicate you could fade in each new instrument, add panning for a feeling of space, and build up dynamics very slowly as if awakening.
    I agree,

and perhaps, diligamus, at the beginning you can fade the reverb from "very far away" to more near. That lets the music near-float.

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Diligamus, what a neat thing you're doing here, posting the very beginnings of a new piece in progress, and running it by us.

I nod my head in agreement to all the feedback so far, perhaps trying a soft Horn, doing more with fade ins, panning--and DEfinitely trying a different instrument for the opening. You said it wasn't sounding as delicate as you want, and the main conflicting element causing that is the choice of the brittle Piccolo. It has such a harsh chiff on the lower notes, as you can hear in this. I've used the Piccolo playing lower than usual exactly because of that chiff--but in music with a totally different mood.

Trying that lead line high up on the Oboe would be worth a try, on several different Oboes--they can sound so untypical when playing high.

And even though this is a tiny segment, just what you have could easily take four times longer, making the most out of Sunbird's suggestion for building the dynamics more.

Thanks for letting us peek in to your musical work shop!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

fade in each new instrument, add panning for a feeling of space, and build up dynamics very slowly as if awakening.
    Thank you. I think starting it more quietly will definitely help. And the idea that panning could add space seem so obvious now that you've stated it, but again, it's something I never would have come up with for myself.

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    at the beginning you can fade the reverb from "very far away" to more near. That lets the music near-float.
    Fading reverb? Wow, again, something I would never have dreamt of by myself. I'll have to look up in the Sonar manual how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    what a neat thing you're doing here, posting the very beginnings of a new piece in progress, and running it by us.
    I thought it would be interesting for a change of pace in the listening room to give a close listen to just 4 measures. Besides, I need all the hints and tips I can get!

I nod my head in agreement to all the feedback so far, perhaps trying a soft Horn
    Yes, the horns are a good one. I'd forgotten how soft and warm a French Horn can be. Glancing through RK suggests 2 horns and 1 trombone in close harmony, so that will be my first experiment.

the main conflicting element causing that is the choice of the brittle Piccolo. It has such a harsh chiff on the lower notes, as you can hear in this. I've used the Piccolo playing lower than usual exactly because of that chiff--but in music with a totally different mood. Trying that lead line high up on the Oboe would be worth a try, on several different Oboes--they can sound so untypical when playing high.
    That piccolo is in its very lowest register. I still want to try it an octave higher, with much less attack, and much quieter. If that doesn't work, the oboe it is!

And even though this is a tiny segment, just what you have could easily take four times longer, making the most out of Sunbird's suggestion for building the dynamics more.
    Slow awakening is exactly the effect I'm going for.

Finally, thank you to everyone for NOT suggesting the GM bird tweet patch

During the very beginning with the solo piccolo I could have sworn an announcer would come in with some comments about the curious mating ritual of a strange bird; i think you could easily delay the entrance of any other insturments for a while. It felt like being alone on a sunny deck just after sunrise; that space of time on vacation before everyone else gets up.
    Nice so far.

It's getting so late it is almost morning so I could relate to your piece about morning! Great start - The sound seemed rough (a bit tinny-could be on my end as well-don't know) and very dry to me - some good reverb will possibly fix some of this. There is nothing like playing a flute in a big beautiful church with great accoustics (good reverb!)

thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast