• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to Soundproof an Apartment to Muffle Your Wife

Orcas Island

How to Soundproof an Apartment to Muffle Your Wife

Actually the title is "How to Soundproof an Apartment to Muffle Your Wife's Drumming"

Wired reports:
    My wife is a professional percussionist. After three years of hearing her play marimba, djembe and conga in our living room -- and hearing me fumble around on our upright piano -- our neighbors wanted assurances that we would keep things quiet in our new home...

Determined to be good neighbors and to get that extra room, we volunteered to do some soundproofing. That's when things got complicated.

The measures that my wife and I took -- spending thousands of dollars (and countless hours) on consultants, contractors, materials and gadgets in order to turn our new dining room into a professional-caliber music studio -- might go beyond the needs of many people. Read more here.

Re: How to Soundproof an Apartment to Muffle Your Wife

Actually that article is right on point. Contrary to the what the husband feels; I don't think it's overkill at all. But I'm a composer/engineer.
    I wonder if more money could be saved with an 'overall' plan. I got the impression, that the author just got advice but did all the installing himself and figured it out 'as he went.'

My wife and I are settling down in the next year and right now I'm just making sure, as we house shop/build, that my music has space (a dedicated room) and that we budget for some treatment.
    I have considered the acoustical sheet rock material 'quiet rock' and the green glue seems interesting. I made a specific note about the vinyl material they used on the floor.

When I was living in NY, I had a garden apartment of a brownstone. I remember, doing some post on a film one evening and just letting it play a scene 'looped' over and over. I left the room with the scene playing and went up to talk to my landlord, who owned the upstair home.
    I got upstairs and she said, 'What are you and your friends going to do?'
    It took me a second, but then I realized, she was listening to the PT sequence running downstairs! She wasn't angry, but the sound was loud enough she was hearing a conversation. I then realized whatever music or audio I had ever done, they were hearing through the floorboards. Duh I guess, but it caught me by surprise.

Go Back to forum