• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spectrasonics/RMX sound question...

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics/RMX sound question...

Ok, I've been hearing this sound EVERYWHERE recently and had a few questions about it. The sound I'm referring to can be found in RMX core library under "Sound menus" -> "Cinematic" -> "Ambient Metals" and is triggered with note G3 (roland) or G2 (yamaha) setting in Logic. It has a weird, spacey/power up initial impact with a great crescendo "saw like" sound for the tail.

What are the origins of this sound? Was it designed for RMX? I ask because I LOVE the saw-like part of the sound, but dont much care for the spacey power-up, so I usually fade into it to get rid of the attack sounds. But of course I cant get rid of all of it, as it overlaps with the saw sound, which is a bummer. However, when I hear this sound on TV/Movies, it seems to be isolated with ONLY the saw sound.

Is there a way to isolate this sound in RMX? I absolutely LOVE this sound, and would like to use it in isolation.

Thanks in advance for your help and reply!

Re: Spectrasonics/RMX sound question...

there is a parameter on the edit page of rmx which allows you to change the start point of the sample. I think it is to the right just below the reverse sample option.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

It's likely that the element in the sound you are referring to is "Oil Can Bow" from the original Distorted Reality vol.1 CD-ROM library.

It is perhaps the most over-used Spectrasonics sound of all time. ;-)

hmmmm...I went back and listened, I think it's "Rusty Spoke" from Distorted Reality vol.1. And I'm guilty of beating the heck out of that sound myself!

Cheers.
    -gabe

Yeah....those two are cousins. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    It's likely that the element in the sound you are referring to is "Oil Can Bow" from the original Distorted Reality vol.1 CD-ROM library.

It is perhaps the most over-used Spectrasonics sound of all time. ;-)
    Ha!

I am a big Sci-Fi fan, you can't watch a sci-fi or horror movie without rusty spokes or oil can bow.

at the right moment of creepy tension, here it comes in 3..2..1..

fantastic!

I'm curious - not having DR, but probably having heard it before - anyone have an MP3 clip of those sounds in action?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

thank you for the replies guys! sorry for the delay in mine.

So I take it this sound is not isolated in RMX anywhere? What does distorted reality go for these days?

Go Back to forum