• Register
  • Help

Topic: Complete Instrument 'Templates' ? & starting volume

Share/Bookmark

Complete Instrument 'Templates' ? & starting volume

How is it, does anyone of you using predefined templates and complete sets with the proper reverb ?

I mean once found the "right" instruments putting them in the proper "location" and probably some EQ presets it could be a good idea to start saving them in different "categories". Whats more used - or loading each instrument and settings "out of nothing" ?

Is it commonly used to start with a complete "Section" Patch to sketch out ideas ? Often i like to "write" (just lay out some notes in the sequencer) and then to extend the melody, adding another tone up or down a whole octave, so i'am having multiple tones at the same time, but all the same instrument (a complete melody with variations or theme change)
    I often getting "nervous" or "unshure" when doing that, maybe because i feel like i'am doing something thats unrealistic or impossible. And then starting to think about the instruments i could assign to that lines later gives me easily distraction on the base process.

I would like to share some ideas and techniques that helps while the progress.

Another Question is: Something very small ! But thats one of that things that gives me difficultys finally:
    When loading any Instrument in GPO plugin, the Instrument always starts very quiet !! When pressing play, the "normal" volume gets applied.
    I cannot play a note, switch the instrument to quickly hear the next (because its very quiet and probably even different 'EXP') What could be the reason ? that extra-click is enough to disturb the whole creativy process

Re: Complete Instrument 'Templates' ? & starting volume

I'm just getting into it myself, but I can see where I'll be using templates (in Cubase) to avoid having to set up all the instruments every time. So I may have a "string Quartet" template and a "full orchestra" one, etc.

Is it commonly used to start with a complete "Section" Patch to sketch out ideas ? Often i like to "write" (just lay out some notes in the sequencer) and then to extend the melody, adding another tone up or down a whole octave, so i'am having multiple tones at the same time, but all the same instrument (a complete melody with variations or theme change)
    I often getting "nervous" or "unshure" when doing that, maybe because i feel like i'am doing something thats unrealistic or impossible. And then starting to think about the instruments i could assign to that lines later gives me easily distraction on the base process.
    I do the same thing. If the final result is going to be a string section it makes more sense to me to use a section patch while building your song and then ,once done, build the section out of individual instruments (if desired), it would be a pain to edit multiple tracks every time you changed something.
    You are technically expanding your string section at an unrealistic rate when you add another part using the same patch but since I am mostly paraphrasing from this tutorial I will post the link instead:
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html
    I understand what you are saying about "nervous" and getting distracted but , for me anyway, it is mostly because I am an amateur classical composer and not really sure how to do things the "right" way (ie divisi etc within a section) so, as you mention, I end up losing the spark while I mess with technical details. Like I said I am "trying" not to do this and I am hoping to approach creation as a rough sketch, then orchestrate it later and add in all the CCs once there is a solid base.
    For me, I have to stop worrying about what people with more knowledge (ie most of the people on this forum) might say and just create something that can be evaluated by those people.

As for the low levels, you have to jiggle the mod wheel in the plugin (or on your keyboard\controller) each time you load an instrument, otherwise it stays at the default low volume; since the library's performance controls are designed around the concept of almost constant use of the mod wheel, I think the programmer (Tom, I believe) figured this wouldn't be an issue. If you have mod wheel data recorded in the track, this should perform the same function when playing back. I understand that this is no longer an issue in the Kontakt 2 update.

This forum, with its search function, and the tutorial section are both excellent sources of info. Anything I know (which isn't much) about GPO has been taken from those 2 places.

Go Back to forum