• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A step up from Jam Pack 4 Symphony Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

A step up from Jam Pack 4 Symphony Orchestra

I don't have the experience yet to utilize libraries such as Vienna. But I thought maybe Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition. I can live without the choir parts.

What do you think?

Re: A step up from Jam Pack 4 Symphony Orchestra

Hmmm. Well Jam Pack 4 is basically scaled down VSL sounds. I think Vienna SE would be a great package to step up to. It's $445 up here in Canada.

The problem I find with Miroslav Philharmonik (I have the full sized version) is that it's not got samples that react to velocity switching like you would be familiar with on Jam Pack 4. That and some of the sounds are a little antiquated by todays standards. I think you'll find Miro sounds lacking compared to using JP4 honestly.

Some decent packages are:

EWQLSO Silver/Silver Pro XP ($495- I think)
    Garritan GPO- $200 (once again, I think)
    Kontakt 2 w. VSL sounds bundled including some of the performance legatos
    Kirk Hunter Emerald (although you need EXS in Logic or else Kontakt 2 to play the samples in)
    MOTU Symphonic Instrument (it's like $325 but IMO it stinks)
    HALion Symphonic Instrument ($595 but it's a 27 gig library with 24 bit samples and 16 bit version for laptop use- a very underrated library and one I use with Gold Pro XP and VSL Vienna SE all the time)

Hope this helps!

Thank you. It seems very nice with all its detectors and optimizers (Vienna). Maybe I can use the Bösendorfer instead of the 7CG I´m planning to buy too.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos

HALion Symphonic Instrument ($595 but it's a 27 gig library with 24 bit samples and 16 bit version for laptop use- a very underrated library and one I use with Gold Pro XP and VSL Vienna SE all the time)

Hope this helps!
    Dave,

can you post an example which you recorded with HALion Symphonic
    Instrument?

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Nah, I'll get the 7CG too.

I have to disagree with the comments on the Miroslav library. I think it can compete with any big end library out there, if used right. My own opionion of course. Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    I have to disagree with the comments on the Miroslav library. I think it can compete with any big end library out there, if used right. My own opionion of course. Joseph
    You are right!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    I like it but I'm not going to say it sounds as real as VSL. Sorry, it just doesn't. I've worked with enough real orchestras to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I like it but I'm not going to say it sounds as real as VSL. Sorry, it just doesn't. I've worked with enough real orchestras to know the difference.
    I would have never guessed that? Joseph.

Go Back to forum