• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finding a software sampler

Share/Bookmark

Finding a software sampler

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from my somewhat dated Logic for PC to Cakewalk's Sonar. I'm allready owning and using Project5 v2 (Cakewalk) so I can get Sonar & PE at a good upgrade price. Bundeled with Project5 came Dimesnion LE, a light version of Cakewalk's software sampler Dimension Pro. Dimension doesn't load .gig, .nki or .exs, (nor AKAI and Roland discs)which are the main formats in my sample library. CDXTract which I've been using doesn't convert to Dimension format either.

My problem is now which software sampler to buy. For drums I will most likely go for FXPansion's DR-008 as I can get it pretty cheap (much, much cheaper than Battery) but which sampler to use for my pianos, strings and percussions etc..?

Gigastudio VI looks good but it's US $299. Halion sells for the same price. Kontakt is US $349. MOTU's Mach Five is around US $289. Gigastudio and Mach Five look real good but I believe Kontakt ships with a much bigger sample library.

In either case I'm thinking that any of the above mentioned software samplers are a little too expensive right now. I just bought Project5 and I'm about to get Sonar 6 PE plus a few more things. There's also the V-Sampler...

V-Sampler is the cheapest software sampler I've seen and it retails at US $190 about (it seems to be download only) but I haven't heard that much about it. I know I downloaded a demo version some years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Still, I would like to hear someone else's thought about it though.

My question is really: is there a cheap alternative to the standards in software sampling? I rarely do any tweeking (except for drum layering and mxing) and I can do all the looping in Project5 or Sonar. If I need a software sampler and I can convert my library to a format which V-Sampler can read (with CDXtract that is), would V-Sampler be a good buy?

I appreciate any help.

- Giannis

Re: Finding a software sampler

If you own any kompakt-player libraries, you can get a Kontakt 2 crossgrade for only $179 - http://www.scitscat.com/catalog/nati...de-p-4730.html
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

I had so many issues with vsampler and Sonar, that I gave up and purchased the Kontakt upgrade from the Kontakt player. Worth every penny and couldn't be happier. It could have been that I wasn't patient enough with VSampler.

Thanks for the tips.

Scitscat just sold out to my big dissapointment and NI's own shop is much more expensive. Does anyone have any tips on where I can find the competetive crossgrade at a good price?

try Googling "kontakt 2 crossgrade"

Yeah, I did a search... I found that audioMIDI has a really great staff. They would also give me the lowest possible price so now I'm looking forward to receiving my Kontakt 2 sampler - I think it's going to be great. ANother 15Gb of samples as well, not bad. The price landed at $258 dollar out of which shipping cost me $78 (I'm living in Europe).

Again, thank you for tips, and thank you for wanting to help me out!

-Giannis

My vote is for Kontakt 2 as well and you may want to check American Musical...they have payment options for people with no credit...like me

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspo
    I had so many issues with vsampler and Sonar, that I gave up and purchased the Kontakt upgrade from the Kontakt player. Worth every penny and couldn't be happier. It could have been that I wasn't patient enough with VSampler.
    I use VSampler quite a bit for making small instruments. It's a underrated product but Kontakt would be the better investment.
    There are other samplers out there if you need something momentarily. Paax 3 is $45.
    I guess it depends on your need. If you are looking for something just to play samples you could look at Samplelord.

google SAMPLELORD

it's very cheap (90 Euro), loads instantly, and plays GIG, SF2, FXP, NKI, EX, WAV, AIFF directly from disk.

Quote Originally Posted by GunJinn
    google SAMPLELORD

it's very cheap (90 Euro), loads instantly, and plays GIG, SF2, FXP, NKI, EX, WAV, AIFF directly from disk.
    I don't suppose it has scripting capability does it?

Does it have functions that can create fake legatos?

Go Back to forum