• Register
  • Help

Topic: A proposed triangle of software

A proposed triangle of software

Hi all, just joined. I'm in the process of making sure I have the right gear to do film/video scoring as I'm taking the Music For The Media course. At present, I have a Vaio laptop running XP with 1Gb RAM and Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I also have a Roland Fantom X8, which I have begun to suspect is slightly unnecessary (I think my accountant might agree...!)

Anyway, I'm planning to order Sibelius for doing the larger notation jobs (when I write orchestrally). I gather that GPO can plug into it, but I'm interested in any opinions about the interoperability between Sonar, GPO and Sibelius. Is it worth having all three?

Re: A proposed triangle of software

I have Sonar Home Studio 6 and GPO. I understand that the main advantage of adding Sibelius to this is you'd have better notation abilities. But at my level just Sonar and GPO works fine.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Thanks diligamus. I guess Sibelius is quite important if you happen to want to write via notation - I don't think Sonar's Home Studio version excels at that. Personally, I write either way, depending on what I'm doing. At least I've had it confirmed that they work together, that's really what I was after - so thanks again.

I think I will add Silebius and GPO Sibelius edition to my Sonar HS. I'm starting to think that's the way to go.

I often do the basic input on the Staff View of Sonar, and only use the Piano Roll View for the humanizing and expressiveness. I also sometimes print the half-finished score from Sonar so I can work on it on paper.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Go Back to forum