• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ossified Icicles

Share/Bookmark

Ossified Icicles

In an effort to take my mind off an attack of arthritis, hives, poison oak, and hot weather, I concentrated on writing music. It didn't do much about the problems, but I did write this 14 minute piece for piano. The rendition is GPO Steinway, naturally. The score has not yet passed throught the Sibelius system, and can not be viewed till that happens. The mp3 is available on my Opera page.

Ossified Icicles

Richard

25 JUne

If the above link gives you trouble, try this one. It is a slower loading page, but it will work.

Ossified Icicles

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 06-25-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add information

Re: Ossified Icicles

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Richard,

Sorry to hear about the problems - especially the poison oak - it's that time again in the Redwoods - almost like it jumps out at you or you get it even by being in the air space.

I tried the link you left and got an Error 403 - no permission.

Stephen
    Well, that is strange, but sometimes that seems to happen. I just tried it, not logged in, either here or the Opera site, it worked correctly. I will try to get somebody else to try it as a test, or maybe tomorrow I will try it from a computer at the public library, to keep my equipment and ID out of the picture.

Richard

I also got a fobidden notification when I tried to get to the site.
    -Jay

Well I can download it just fine. I love the piece - I think, when I saw the title, I was expecting something a little stiller / rarified in atmosphere - it sounded like the kind of title Takemitsu or Tan Dun might use for a piece with just two or three very, very long chords.

As it is, what was actually there is fantastic, really thorough development of your motific material. The kind of complete independence of lines that you achieve reminds me very much of Shostakovich and Bartok, of whom I am an enormous fan. I think I even prefered this to Happypachy, although it's a close call.

Thanks for sharing it!

Dave Mayson

p.s. I hope I still have chops like that when I'm suffering from arthritis - all it takes is a bit of tendinitis and a few ganglions and I'm out of comission.

Sorry to hear that.

I get a message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /rwayland/files/Ossified Icicles.mp3 on this server.
    Apache Server at files.myopera.com Port 80
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Good heavens, Bill--what a string of unfortunate things you're going through. Very sorry to hear it. I am very admiring of how you rose above it all by going to music and immersing yourself in what you love.

Why aren't you using the Box site for this? It was so great to easily access your pieces that way.

But what you've posted definitely doesn't work as a direct link. Pingu, who heard the piece, must have used the basic right click "save as" routine, and I was about to do that also--but even with my cable high speed connection, it was going to take 6 minutes to download it temporarily on my desk top--?!--Something I decided I can't stop and do right now. I'll do that when things are less busy, if it's what I have to do--But naturally, most people aren't going to be going through that whole routine to stop and listen.

SO--Hope you get this up at Box, even temporarily.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

Why aren't you using the Box site for this? It was so great to easily access your pieces that way.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Box will not accept files over 10 Mb. This is a 14 minute mp3, a bit over 13 Mb.

I suspect the problem results from streaming rather than download, but I will pursue it. It may be that I will get it on Sibelius, with a direct link to the Sibelius mp3, if I can maintain a decent connection. But it probably won't be until next week, after the score is approved by Sibelius.

Richard

Ah, that's right about Box. Since I like the site so much, I've been paying them $5 a month so I don't have any file size restrictions, and that's a good deal.

Interesting bit on your new reply--you said, about getting the score up at the Sibelius site, "...it probably won't be until next week, after the score is approved by Sibelius..."

They monitor what's put up there, and decline some pieces--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Ah, that's right about Box. Since I like the site so much, I've been paying them $5 a month so I don't have any file size restrictions, and that's a good deal.

Interesting bit on your new reply--you said, about getting the score up at the Sibelius site, "...it probably won't be until next week, after the score is approved by Sibelius..."

They monitor what's put up there, and decline some pieces--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Well, maybe it is time for me to upgrade my box.

Sibelius checks all scores, with two filters, I think. The first is that the score is not a bad advertisement for them and they are concerned that the scores look reasonably well done. They provide the space at no cost as an advertising tool and for a cut of the sales. Only Sibelius scores are allowed, which makes sense. The next filter concerns copyright issues, and maybe obscenity concerns. It sometimes takes and hour or so, sometimes 5 days. Very erratic currently.

Richard

Richard, I was able to hear this without difficulty. A great piece of writing that moved forward in an assured and confident manner - and held my attention 'til the end. This somewhat erratic counterpoint can be very effective if well crafted as in this piece. I enjoyed this.

Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast