• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 2 mv 2 "In the Garden of Innocence"

Share/Bookmark

Smile Symphony No. 2 mv 2 "In the Garden of Innocence"

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the feedback on the first movement of Sym. No. 2 ("In the Womb"); I really appreciate it.

It was suggested that I put up the second movement for your consideration, so, now that I am off the first page (per the new rules) if you would like to listen to it, please go to my soundclick page: http://www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa

Scroll down a bit, and you will see it. I have had some folks on dial-up lines test the "lo-fi" play option and it works, for those of you on dialup lines. Otherwise, the "hi-fi" option is best. The song that plays automatically on my page will stop when you play another selection.

Hope you enjoy it!

Karen

Re: Symphony No. 2 mv 2 "In the Garden of Innocence"

Hi Karen, Wow, this is really impressive! So playful with the winds and warm with the strings. There were little "snippets" that reminded my of Holst: The Planets. Would this be in ABA form? The contrasting material in the middle was very effective. Liked the addition of the percussion there. Also sensed a little "trouble" in the Garden for a brief period of time. Very much enjoyed this work especially the introduction! Great work once again!
    Thank you for posting it....

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Karen I took a look at your Soundclick page. My goodness you're prolific! And Bernadette Roberts in the photo section ... good stuff. You're obviously way ahead of me as far as the music is concerned, so I don't know if I can offer anything helpful. I did enjoy this movement though. It's beautiful.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hi, Karen--I was really looking forward to you posting the second movement--I know you have quite a few things listed at Sound Click, but I preferred waiting until you made decisions about what you want us to listen to here.

And now, the fairly incredible has happened--As much as I loved "In The Womb," I've been even more enthralled with "In the Garden of Innocence." What a geat thing that is--to have a musical event like this build!

This is masterly, superb, so evocative--And wow, what an excellent recording/rendering.

You've only joined the Forums this month, but I feel it's very safe to say you've instantly stepped into the Pantheon of Garritan composers who are masters at their craft. I have the feeling you agree that we are all always "in the classroom," but truly, there are still some who sit up closer to the front. With The Universe as the instructor, you are definitely one of teacher's favorites.

Thank you very much.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thank you all for listening. Randy, I agree with you -- you are right -- I do look at the Universe (the little part of it I encounter) as a teacher. Certainly, this forum is a big part of that for me -- so many good things to listen to, and suggestions/opinions to learn from. And thank you for your kind words -- they are very heartening, a ray of light into the solitude in which i work...

These two movements are just about my best writing to date (maybe one other thing too). There are a lot of smaller much more modest pieces that came before and led up to this. Gradually, I am trying to listen to compositions of you, David, and other accomplished composers on this forum as I have time.

What a gift to have found this place!

Cheers,
    K

Good to see you back with the second movement of this, Karen;
    to which I've listened with much pleasure -- several times, in
    fact. As I grow more accustomed to your work, I'm quite taken
    by it.

There's a Coplandesque playfulness underlying much of this (more by
    inference than by the notes), which I found both delightful and highly
    effective; and in the more pacific moments, I cannot help but be
    reminded of Hovhaness' simplicity and gentle grace...

May we look forward to the next movement soon, my friend! As
    with the First Symphony (yes, I've listened to it), this is developing
    into still another fine work!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Red face Re: Symphony No. 2 mv 2 "In the Garden of Innocence"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hi Karen, Wow, this is really impressive! So playful with the winds and warm with the strings. There were little "snippets" that reminded my of Holst: The Planets. Would this be in ABA form? The contrasting material in the middle was very effective. Liked the addition of the percussion there. Also sensed a little "trouble" in the Garden for a brief period of time. Very much enjoyed this work especially the introduction! Great work once again!
    Thank you for posting it....

Michael
    Hi Michael -- thanks so much for listening.
    To answer your question, no i don't think this is ABA, well, hmmm, let me think . I do repeat a section verbatim, but then the end is not like the beginning. So I guess it's more like ABAC..??

You're right, there IS trouble in the Garden! Eventually of course, like Adam and Eve, we get "knowlege of good and evil" and thus ends our innocence (although some of us try to consciously keep it intact as best we can, like the precious and fragile gem it is). For myself, when I lose my childlike wonder at life, it's time to die. That blunt.

Remember your first dead bird, or when you first lost someone important to you or realize the world is not always a friendly, nurturing place? That is the trouble in the garden... But the trouble in this piece, you'll notice, doesn't last -- the piccolo on top of the dark minor-key trouble is the sound mostly of just curiosity or bewilderment at most... as befits a young child (one hopes -- in this world, there are far too many children for whom that magical time is cut brutally short if it ever existed at all). And then the waltz-time playfulness (first introduced in movement 1) comes back. And then the child is tired! All that new discovery and exuberance! .... and gets sleepier........... and sleepier ............... and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Thank you David, Randy, "diligamus",

I don't know what to say! (But I may think of something later -- probably at 3 in the morning as has been my habit lately )

All my best to all of you, and yours,
    K

Hi Karen,

Your composition is a delightful intricate weave of all kinds of moods and instruments, with a wonderful flow of movement that is rich in texture and surprising effects, all leading the listener with ease to the different areas of the 'Garden of Innocence'.

The woodwind writing at the outset is wonderful! The intertwining lines create a lovely mood, and when the strings enter they add a warmth to the whole mix. It is a well used "gambit", and you show why it is so highly effective - bravo.

As things move along, you keep the pace moving.

My only criticism is that sometimes the orchestra sounds as if it is in too small a space; this is a rendering issue, and something I can hear, but alas, can't always solve...Perhaps more Reverb/Ambience? It could also be the compression down to an mp3 - what often sounds good on playback sounds a bit smaller on an mp3. Still, take this as a small suggestion. You've written a lovely piece, and was a delightful way to begin the musical day!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast