• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Web Hosting

Share/Bookmark

Web Hosting

Well, I have been fussing around for a long time, and have about decided what I want to use for a web host. 300 GB storage, 3,000 GB monthly transfer, 3.95 monthly and flexible payment options!

IX Web Hosting

Any comments, for or against?

Richard

Re: Web Hosting

It's always difficult to know who to pick for a hosting company. I Googled the one you mentioned and came up with this:

http://advocate.soundtrax.net/notice.htm

I don't know if this person's experience is representative or not.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    It's always difficult to know who to pick for a hosting company. I Googled the one you mentioned and came up with this:

http://advocate.soundtrax.net/notice.htm

I don't know if this person's experience is representative or not.
    Well, I followed up with 39 other reviews. Glad I posted the matter. Sounds like a disaster.

Guess it's time to check out some others again. Blue Host, maybe, but I think not Big Blue.

Richard

i use .mac and its incredible. its 100 bones a year (i got it free for the first year, but i will definately renew it). it works great with a mac, because you can use the iWeb program (its what i made my site with) and with no experience at all you can make a pretty sweet site. i'm not sure if you want this sort of thing, but if you have a mac you should check it out. otherwise i'd say try something like myspace - its free and is a great way to network.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

http://www.dreamhost.com/

Lots of support, tons of service, and almost instant tech support. I love it.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Well, I agree with you, there. They do have some problems, but they have SO many servers, and SO many users, and SO MANY tech guys, the problems (which arnt many) dont last long. They also have a service where each week, your get more total Bandwidth. @ 2 TB a month @ 10 bucks a month, after about a year, its pretty much unlimited BW.

Also, Help a poor guy out, if you use Dreamhost, where it says: "Promo Code or email of who referred you", put aixsyd@gmail.com ^_^

<33
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Bargain sites are not always bargains. I'm going with a company that is more or less local
    I am also going with a local company here in Canada, though I don't know if they offer service in the U. S. of A. As you build your website, you inevitably encounter problems in the first week or so. Price is one consideration; support is another.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

This can be a BIG problem. Hosting has gotten very cheap, and there are many more hosting companies than there were in the past -- but that means it is hard to keep tabs on them all and hard to tell if they are cutting corners. Especially if you want to get and send email through your domain (i.e. me@mydomainname.com). I found out -- the hard way -- that some of these places don't do any kind of security, with the result that they become havens for hackers and spammers. ISPs often block every message from the sites hosted on them, often without a bounce back message to either party. Four times in the last three years I have found that my clients were either not getting my messages or that I was not getting their replies. On the advice of one of them (who had been experiencing a similar problem) I recently moved my site to GoDaddy. My ISP checked them out and said that, as of this writing, no one was blocking email from their hosted sites. (I don't have any independent way of confirming this. I'm just going by what they're telling me.) My client said that all his problems cleared up when he switched to GoDaddy and so far I haven't had any trouble (but I've only been with them about 2 months).

Beware of Network Solutions. I had a lot of problems with them and I've been hearing negative feedback from a lot of people who use them -- even if they are just using them to register their domain names and not hosting.

I think if you search for posts about any hosting company you're going to turn up some complaints. You have to make a judgement based on people you know and trust. Your ISP can be a big help as far as to alerting you to some types of technical problems.

http://webhost4life.com

$4.95 ( usd ) per month 1GB of Storage. Unlimited bandwidth.
    Email etc.
    24/7 tech support. 1-800 or online chat box.

I've got an account there and manage 5 others and it's been really good.
    Been with them for about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    http://www.dreamhost.com/

Lots of support, tons of service, and almost instant tech support. I love it.
    I'm also using Dreamhost. Works well for me. Only problem I have is the 42 KB/sec max transfer that it has apparently...
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum