• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: a view from the balcony (classical)

Share/Bookmark

a view from the balcony (classical)

This is mostly a piano piece, with a short section for violin and cello. It uses JABB piano and GPO strings. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    -Jay
    www.katejesse.com/view.mp3

Re: a view from the balcony (classical)

I'll tell you what I think.I I I like it!I Good, strong left hand. INice counterpoint.I All of the voices work well together. I Fine writing.

Keep up the good work, Mr. Jay.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Jay, quite an interesting piece! Thanks for posting it for us.
    On the whole the music moves smoothly from section to section. Those fugue-like parts are good!
    Piano: I would lower the volume of the left hand, especially with those heavy chords.
    Entry of strings: They are not heard well enough because of the piano.
    I wonder what view was it that inspired this name?
    I can see a big English garden from my inner 'balcony'...

Hello, Jay

What a pretty piece, so well harmonized in your arrangement. The effect really drew me in.

I didn't understand why the Cello and Violin were heard so briefly. Without their parts more extended, it seemed their presence wasn't needed. I was hoping they would linger much longer.

I just read the comment about the strings entrance not being heard well enough--Interesting reaction, which I don't understand at all. On my ears, both the Cello and the Violin had very strong entrances which were very clear. The balance, to me, was perfect.

My next comment is probably coming from the same place the other comments have about the left hand of the piano. I felt the composition was more delicate and more potentially evocative than the over-all performance achieved, because the velocities are generally pretty high. There's a stridency which didn't seem to match the mood hidden in the notes themselves. I wanted to hear a softer recording.

If you're concerned about gentler playing not carrying well enough, keep in mind that it's all relative. A softer performance on the piano simply needs to be taken up higher with the faders during the mix. And then of course any other instruments just need to be adjusted accordingly.

I admire your writing in this, Jay. I think it would be very worth the experiment of lowering all the piano's velocities down to around 70% of where they currently are--And then to either not use the strings or develop their parts more thoroughly.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

I just read the comment about the strings entrance not being heard well enough--Interesting reaction, which I don't understand at all. On my ears, both the Cello and the Violin had very strong entrances which were very clear. The balance, to me, was perfect.
    I meant the strings entry before they play the melody, when they are in the background with the piano, around 03:09.
    I agree that their part is too short.

Hi, Sunbird

Are we listening to the same file? At 3:09 the string parts are over--

2:17 is where the Cello comes in nice and strong. If there are any string parts Before that, then they would Definitely be too soft since I can't hear anything before this loud entrance at 2:17.

?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Are we listening to the same file? At 3:09 the string parts are over--

2:17 is where the Cello comes in nice and strong. If there are any string parts Before that, then they would Definitely be too soft since I can't hear anything before this loud entrance at 2:17.
    I'm sure we are listening to the same file...
    If you mean the time of countdown, then the quiet entry is at 02:01 and the full melody at 01:31.

Hello again, Sunbird

Pardon us, Jay, we're trying to figure out our points of reference here so the feedback can make sense to you.

Sun, I don't understand what you mean by "the countdown"--? Do you somehow have your media player set so its clock goes backwards?--Mine starts logically enough at 0:00 and ticks off the seconds of a piece. I didn't know there was another way to have the display work--?

So, starting at 0:00 from the very top, I hear the Cello's first entrance at 2:17 when the piano switches to a rhythmic accompaniment. Then the Violin joins in at 2:48, and by 3:06, the strings are out.

A point of confusion, besides the apparently different time line references we're using, is if there are any passages with strings before what I call the 2:17 Cello entrance--? If strings Are in before that point, as I said in my last reply, then they would indeed be too soft because upon a third hearing just now--I can't hear anything but piano before the moment I'm talking about.

--?--

Randy B.
    (rbowser

Mine starts logically enough at 0:00 and ticks off the seconds of a piece. I didn't know there was another way to have the display work--?
    So, starting at 0:00 from the very top, I hear the Cello's first entrance at 2:17 when the piano switches to a rhythmic accompaniment. Then the Violin joins in at 2:48, and by 3:06, the strings are out.
    Ran, funny, but my Window Media Player shows the time remaining... I tried to find where to switch it back but couldn't find... So I opened the file with Audacity.
    Now everything is clear. We are talking about the same entrance 2:17! Only I find the piano too strong and the cello too much in the background and I would like to hear more of it. That's what I meant... LOL

*cough* Ummmm, pardon me, I just think it's darn wonderful. So classically arranged with smooth transitions and wonderful color combinations. The part when the cello enters with the piano reminds me of the Beetles; not sure why? But i really liked it! A nice darker more mysterious part. Great transition there and a wonderful ending. Great work!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast