• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: CAPRICE, MEDITATION andTEMPEST

Share/Bookmark

CAPRICE, MEDITATION andTEMPEST

This trio is almost complete. I've enjoyed working on a smaller work this mon†h. In the last year, I've been working on 1 or 2 pieces for six or seven months. It really gets old. Has anybody found a way to keep inerva†ed about working on the same piece over a long period of time?

How is this piece going? Here's the latest update-Sun 10:25 pm
    How close am I Randy?

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5485957&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 06-24-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: sound editing

Re: CAPRICE, MEDITATION andTEMPEST

I've been working on 1 or 2 pieces for six or seven months. It really gets old. Has anybody found a way to keep inerva†ed about working on the same piece over a long period of time?
    Well, Monarch took me about that much time if not more. The only thing I can say is never rush a piece, and let it lead you to the end. I always had many themes from Monarch going around and around in my head at night and at work. That kept my driven to finish. I always tried to explore new techniques and different ways of using instruments to keep my interest.

Very nice work here Gary! Very complex at times; nice rhythms and counterpoint. Good use of instrument ranges and articulations. A very well balanced piece; and cohesive. I very much enjoyed!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Gary

I've become confused about the nature of the recent works you're posting--They are all parts of a whole? This one is "Caprice, Mediation and Tempest"- is that a new title, replacing the other title, or just a slightly different title for this section--? I'm being dense, I'm sorry I'm just not clear.

I wish this reverb problem could be straightened out for you. I know it's been a struggle--Once again, I hear reverb only the Clarinet, like last time. I remember someone trying to outline for you how to use reverb in Finale,--but it hasn't worked out for some reason?

I just wish your engaging compositions could be heard more to their advantage, without these distracting technical hurdles still in the way.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Michael,
    I get to the point in a composition, where I'm dreaming about writing †he music, and then en†er i† in Finale. As I finish it, I realaize tha† I don't have a computer open. This is a re-occuring dream.

Thanks for listening,
    Gary

Hi Randy,
    This is the same work with an altered name so that I can tell the difference in posts.

I attempted to follow Tom's advice about being able to hear all of the instruments, and the instruments seemed to sound better.
    I still don't understand every†hing about altering the reverb. When you see the location for adjusting reverb at the bottom of the KONTAKT2,
    which reverb affects which instrument in the list? What is a good set†ing for the reverb? Should each instrument have †he same, or do sof†er instruments, i.e. flutes, have greater reverb?

I'll go bck and double check earlier advice.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Hello again, Gary

Thanks for explaining. So this is a re-mix of your earlier post, with some of the advice applied--I get it.

I don't use the KP2 yet--I'm still skitterish about making the change, considering that people are still posting panicky mesages about their problems with it.

I do have The Strad which is in KP2, so I have an idea of some the new player's features. It has a built in mixer with access to effects, there to theoretically make life easier for us.

But I do my project work in Sonar, and that's where I'll still want all my processing to occur--I don't care for the idea of things coming into the program processed with reverb and other effects--That would mean I'd have two different mixers to keep jumping back and forth in.

"...When you see the location for adjusting reverb at the bottom of the KONTAKT2, which reverb affects which instrument in the list?..."

Well, each instrument has its own slider, with those effect options on the mixer module--Isn't it straight forward, that you can see which instrument is where, so you can add reverb there in Kontact if you want?

"...What is a good set†ing for the reverb? Should each instrument have †he same, or do sof†er instruments, i.e. flutes, have greater reverb?.."

Oh my--OK, just basic, generic use of reverb isn't understood. Well, you have to audition the reverb settings available--Usually for pieces like yours, you'd want a Concert Hall type setting.--And the basic theory of how much to add to each instrument is really very simple if you just picture a stage with the musicians, and think of which ones are closer to the audience and which ones are farther away. More reverberation is what happens in the real world when things are farther away from us in a venue--so, you just think your way through your composition, and apply reverb according to how you see the orchestra laid out.

So you see what I'm saying?--It's not that softer instruments get more reverb, it depends on their proximity to the audience, not their volume.

ANd so on.

(I've been meaning to ask--actually I think I did once--I assume the "T" on your keyboard is somehow broken--?)

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,
    I have already altered the reverb by choosing a larger room. Some of the fast passages don't sound right...
    I have no idea why t's come out like they do. It's a new computer. When I remember, I back space †o correct the t. Good thing it's only one letter.
    By the way I had †o correct 6 t's on this page.
    Gary

Hello again, Gary with the mysterious crosses for T's.

I hope someone who is using KP2 with GPO can get on here and get the reverb thing straightened out for you once and for all. I think whatever I try to offer for help must not be apropos enough to what you're working with.

Just changing the reverb room size isn't what you need. Somehow you have the Clarinet with reverb, and most everything else is totally dry. I guess I just don't understand what the problems are.

I suggest you put up a post to this effect in one of the technical help Forums--Using Reverb in KP2. Or maybe there's something already put up that you can find with a Forum search.

It really will be worth your time to do some investigating, and/or posting a thread for tech help. Mixing your music, including adding reverb, isn't just icing on the cake. It's a matter of how people hear what you've written--it's very crucial.

Calling on KP2 users who can help Gary out!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

It's not the kind of music I'd normally listen to but I found this one very pleasant and enjoyable. So many interesting colorations from just 3 instruments.

I don't know about your reverb problems. It actually sounds okay to my untrained ears. Kind of intimate with everything being that close up. Like Randy I am using Kontact Player (mine appears to be 1.1.8.003) within Sonar rather than standalone, so I do all my reverb in Sonar, either track by track or to a bus as a whole.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Thanks Dilagamus,
    I find it gratifying that my music can appeal to those with other lis†ening habi†s.
    Three instruments can be interesting if their tone colors are different enough. This piece writ†en for 3 clarinets-3 bassoons, etc. wouldn't be as interesting.
    Thanks for listening
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast