• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt2 Update Howto (Win & Mac)

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt2 Update Howto (Win & Mac)

Re: Kontakt2 Update Howto (Win & Mac)

I toyed with the idea of Finally doing the upgrade today, but I found that 3/4 of the images in this sticky aren't working. - Afraid I might be missing some good visual helps - I'm waiting to upgrade again. This message is to alert you about the missing graphic files.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Just installed the GPO Kpntakt2 Update. Am I supposed to delete the original version? Also, will projects that already have GPO in them automatically use the new version? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ofafeather
    Just installed the GPO Kpntakt2 Update. Am I supposed to delete the original version? Also, will projects that already have GPO in them automatically use the new version? Thanks.
    No and no. The whole setup and settings have changed (and previous presets will not load). For older projects, stick with your working KP1 version of it, unless you want to re-balance everything.

Does anyone know where I can download a Kontakt player 2 manual?

I just did the install, and of course all my projects have to be rebuilt, but that's OK.

I did a little ad hoc benchmarking and it looks as though the Kontakt player 2 is far more efficient with system resources than the previous version. I was able to load 32 GPO instruments (all the string and brass multis) and play them in unison without saturating my dual G4's dual processors, which used to happen with just one full string section and the large french horn multi.

Patches also seemed to load a lot faster with the new player. There are lots of new options for MIDI and audio routing that I haven't figured out yet. I'd like to be able to route different instruments to different channels of my audio hardware, which looks possible, but I need a manual to figure this out.

I am very excited because it looks like I can get a whole orchestra into one instance of the player.

Hi, SPF

The PDF manual for KP2 is located in the folder with the program. It's at least a start on understanding how KP2 works.

What I did, and many people do, I believe, is I looked at info here in the Forum. That coupled with some close scrutiny of the GUI and the GUIs that appear when inserting instruments, and it didn't take me too long to adapt to it.

The most confusing thing is how the default set up for KP2 really needs to be customized in order to be useful. That process begins with adding channels with the - logically labeled "add channel" button. Then you need to make sure each fader channel you've added is using a different audio out. --Here's a vague instruction on that, since my music computer isn't booted up yet today - if you poke around with the out buttons on the channels, you'll see how the reassigning can be done. SAVE that new configuration so it's what comes up when you open KP2.

There are up to 16 stereo pairs available in the largest of the KP2 .dll. I prefer to have only one instrument per fader so I have more control, rather than having one fader control several instruments at once. There are 4 permanent bus channels that you can't get rid of, so that actually leaves 12 channels for instruments. While you can load more instruments than that, they'll have to start sharing channels, so I leave 12 as the maximum number of instances I use in each instance of KP2.

"...I'd like to be able to route different instruments to different channels of my audio hardware..."

Exactly, that is critical to have, so that full, flexible mixing is possible.

To get that, when you have all the available channels set up in KP2, then when you add instruments, you need to change its audio out put - you'll see that in the black window of each Garritan instrument's GUI. The MIDI channels are automatically incremented upwards as you input instruments, but they all default to the first stereo pair of outs. Change that so each one is going to a different fader in KP2. Then in your DAW, you can have matching audio channels, each connected to those 12 different outs from KP2.

AH - I just noticed you said your audio "hardware"---do you mean that literally, as in, a hardware mixer in your studio alongside your computer? If that's the case, then you would need an audio/MIDI interface with as many outs as you want. But there's really no need to pipe the signals to an outside mixer, if you're using DAW software which has a mixer.

I still use a hardware mixer to bring in hardware synths sometimes, via a Tascam interface, but I'm always just bringing in the stereo mix from that mixer.

---This reply is intended to help you get started. I know I haven't explained in detail everything about KP2 - I can't keep the exact set up process in my head, having figured it out once and now I'm mixing along on my merry way. But I feel that if you look at that manual and start poking around at the controls as per above - you'll get a new configuration for KP2 which will provide what you need.

Randy B.

Randy B.,
    Thanks very much for the tips. I am in Mac world, so I don't have any .dlls, but I see what you're talking about. Also, there is no .pdf manual file in my installation folder - must be they left it out of the Mac installer.

By routing to different hardware channels, I meant to the output channels of my MOTU 2408, which I monitor through an outboard mixer - I find it easier until final mix time to be able to just grab a fader on the hardware mixer when I'm orchestrating. I avoid saving too much automation info into the sequencer tracks until I'm ready to do final mixing.

Aha! - The Conf. button on the mixer button let's me choose the hardware output (e.g., configure the channel). Previously only two hardware channels showed up. Now if I click on Make Default all should be well with my output routings, eh? Niiiiice.....

I like this thing.

Would still like to see that manual though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    No and no. The whole setup and settings have changed (and previous presets will not load). For older projects, stick with your working KP1 version of it, unless you want to re-balance everything.
    So other than having it for older projects, we don't need the older version of GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by billval3
    So other than having it for older projects, we don't need the older version of GPO?
    Correct.

Reegs

The timpani has a much harsher attack in KP2 on all velocity levels than it did in KP1. Is this supposed to be like this? Personally I preferred the way the timpani sounded in KP1. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Go Back to forum