• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2nd instance of Kontakt produces crackling noise

Share/Bookmark

2nd instance of Kontakt produces crackling noise

Hi everyone,
    When I open a second instance of the Kontakt Player (to have a seperate Return Channel in the Cubase mixer - being able to set different EQ`s for each instrument) I get a crackling noise on this 2nd instruments instance.
    When I have just one instance open with both instruments loaded in, I dont get that noise. My Asio, CPU and Disc Performance is not even half the level, so no performance problems should be the reaseon.

My system: Windows PC, XP SP2, Athlon X2 5600+, 4GB RAM, Terratec EWX 24/96 Sound Card, Cubase Studio 4

Thank you, Sandra

Re: 2nd instance of Kontakt produces crackling noise

I'll assume this is about the K1.5 version of the player. Are you streaming your instruments with DFD or loading into RAM? One possibility is that you could have a streaming conflict if you are trying to stream both players. If you are loading into RAM (as we recommend) then you should have no problems opening multiple instances up to the limit of your hardware (and the general 2GB limit of XP.)

One question: It is unclear to me if you really need to open a second instance here. If you require a higher instrument count than a single instance can handle (above 8) then you would need to do this. If you have fewer than 8 instruments and all you want to do is treat each instrument with its own EQ (and other things) then a second instance is not necessary. Just choose a separate output pair for each instrument and treat each as required in your mixing section of Cubase.

Tom

Hi Tom,
    I have version 1.1.9 of the Kontakt Player. I load into RAM end there`s enough of it in the system. (BTW, a 32bit Win XP shoul recognise 3 GB RAM not only 2, I think)

I don`t quiet understand the idea of routing an instrument to a different output to edit it seperately, as you wrote.
    I tried to rout an instrument to output 3/4 but then I had no sound. so thats probably because it must go somewhere, so more routing is necessary. But what do I have to do in Cubase 4? No new channel stip opens (what I expected) and if I open one myself can I rout it to the 3/4 output of the Kontakt Player?
    Thank you, bye, Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by sash71
    I don`t quiet understand the idea of routing an instrument to a different output to edit it seperately, as you wrote.
    I tried to rout an instrument to output 3/4 but then I had no sound. so thats probably because it must go somewhere, so more routing is necessary. But what do I have to do in Cubase 4? No new channel stip opens (what I expected) and if I open one myself can I rout it to the 3/4 output of the Kontakt Player?
    Thank you, bye, Sandra
    Sandra,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the procedures in Cubase 4 so I can't give you a step-by-step. In Sonar, choosing the player as a plugin brings up a choice of the number of outputs you wish to create. The user can then choose either one stereo pair or 8 stereo pairs. Cubase probably has something similar so I would suggest reading the Cubase manual for more information on the creation of outputs (and any necessary routing) for VST plugins. Beyond that suggestion, perhaps someone on the forum who uses Cubase can give you more specific advice.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: 2nd instance of Kontakt produces crackling noise

Thank you Tom,
    that was the Tip of the Day. For all those who are interested:
    In Cubase 4 open the VST Instruments panel (F11) chose the JABB Plugin, and press the little button with the square and arrow to the left of the dropdown list. Another dropdown list apears. Chose "Select all outputs", or choose just the ones you like.

Actually before Cubase 4 all outputs were activated automaticly, which produced plenty of chaos in the mixer section because of unused plugin outputs. Since Cubase 4 one can choose how many outputs are used.

Regards, Sandra

Good. I'm glad you figured it out. That info should help others too.

Tom

Go Back to forum