• Register
  • Help

Topic: Legal Dept: Missing Pants Case Ends

Share/Bookmark

Legal Dept: Missing Pants Case Ends

In the news recently was the case of a guy suing a dry cleaner for $54,000,000 over a lost a pair of pants? Well, the case is over now, and justice has been served:

Cleaner wins $54M case of missing pants.
    District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled that the Korean immigrant owners of Custom Cleaners did not violate the city's Consumer Protection Act by failing to live up to Roy L. Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign that was once placed in the store window.
    "Plaintiff Roy L. Pearson, Jr. takes nothing from the defendants, and defendants Soo Chung, Jin Nam Chung and Ki Y. Chung are awarded the costs of this action against the plaintiff Roy L. Pearson, Jr.," the ruling read.
    This seemed like a case for Judge Judy. The plaintiff was trying to take the cleaners to the cleaners. For those who lost faith in our legal system remember this case!

Re: Legal Dept: Missing Pants Case Ends

What a bunch of ridiculousness that was! Nice to see it didn't end with even more ridiculousness. Craig Ferguson should also be pleased.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It was nice to see that a judge doesn't have a leg up on the general population though.

what I don't understand is that HE IS STILL A JUDGE!!!

that was clearly an abuse of judicial power, and he should be fired.

Well, I know that he's been the laughing stock of evening news for a while. I wonder how it will affect his credibility in the courtroom.

I've been following this story all along, and the cleaners did offer to replace the missing items. This judge (plaintiff) refused, he was entirely unreasonable with them, he should be help accountable for this ridiculous lawsuit.

Jeff

Justice prevailed?

What about the immigrant's family losing their life savings to combat this nonsence?

Stephen, the dry cleaners did attempt to make things right with the plaintiff on many occasions, even offering $12,000 as a settlement, but the plaintiff steadfastly refused all settlement offers.

As the old (bad) joke says: What is 500 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A start.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by noldar12
    Justice prevailed?

What about the immigrant's family losing their life savings to combat this nonsence?
    the judge in the case (not the plaintif) awarded all court costs to the defendants. so they are not out a penny.

and of course, the publicity surrounding the case will certainly not hurt their business either.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    the judge in the case (not the plaintif) awarded all court costs to the defendants. so they are not out a penny.

and of course, the publicity surrounding the case will certainly not hurt their business either.
    My understanding is that he awared "costs" which is different from "lawyer fees". Two different things, their court costs was only about one or two thousand dollars. The Lawyer fees are much more. And their bussness has suffered a down turn since this began.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Go Back to forum