• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Little Flute Sonate

Share/Bookmark

Little Flute Sonate

Hi everyone

I completed a little sonata for flute the other day. I posted the first two movements here already, and now the last movement is "done". I hope you will find some enjoyment from it. I was a little reluctant to post after the grandiose sonata for clarinet ..... this little sonata seems so insignificant by comparison. But anyway, I hope you find it interesting.

The whole sonate is around 10 minutes made with GPO Steinway and Flute playing out of Overture 4.

Third movement

If you want to listen to the other movements:

First movement

Second movement

Thank you for listening.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: Little Flute Sonate

Louis,

This is nice way to end the sonata. It is vigorous and lively, and the lyrical section makes for a very lovely contrast. As I think I've stated before, your language is consistent and clear, and very easy to follow; yet it is never formulaic.

I've enjoyed the previous movements, and when I have little more time, I look forward to hearing the sonata as a whole.

Congratulations on a fine achievement. Do you have performers in mind? This deserves public performances; as fine as GPO is, live musicians are still the tops!

All the best,

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

VERY lovely.

delicate and lively not-quite-tonal harmony.

The writing for each instrument is beautiful, and very idiomatic.

I like the brief fugal exposition near the end - I almost regret it wasn't longer.

My own preference would hvae been for a slightly "louder" final chord. I don't know if it's the rendering or the way you wanted it. Maybe live performers would give that final chord a bit more "oumph"?

A beautiful piece, none the less.

bravo.

Hi, Louis

I'm really happy to see the third movement of your flute sonata posted this morning.

No need to compare it to the clarinet sonata we all have enjoyed so much. This is of a very different flavor, and it's tasty in its own unique way.

The freedom of the dancing flute spinning circles around the more agitated piano makes for a very engaging duet to behold and hear.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Really enjoyed this final movement, Louis!

I've re-listened to the first two arrangements.. This third installment makes for a terrific conclusion.

The combined movements are a plethora of color and form. Although written for only Piano and flute.. you've created three unique conversations.

I might agree with Michel regarding more emphasize on the last phrase.

An incredible achievement Louis!

Bravo!

~Jeff

Louis,
    It's nice "Flute Sonata" Composition. The Piano sounds cool too!

Long

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Louis,

This is nice way to end the sonata. It is vigorous and lively, and the lyrical section makes for a very lovely contrast. As I think I've stated before, your language is consistent and clear, and very easy to follow; yet it is never formulaic.

I've enjoyed the previous movements, and when I have little more time, I look forward to hearing the sonata as a whole.

Congratulations on a fine achievement. Do you have performers in mind? This deserves public performances; as fine as GPO is, live musicians are still the tops!

All the best,

Ron
    Thanks for listening Ron. Yes, I do have performer in mind. It is a little gift to a friend in USA. She is a brilliant flautist and hopefully she will perform it public one day. She has an equally brilliant accompanist. I did perform the first two movements myself already at a little house concert, but I haven't learned the last movement yet.

Thanks again.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    VERY lovely.

delicate and lively not-quite-tonal harmony.

The writing for each instrument is beautiful, and very idiomatic.

I like the brief fugal exposition near the end - I almost regret it wasn't longer.

My own preference would hvae been for a slightly "louder" final chord. I don't know if it's the rendering or the way you wanted it. Maybe live performers would give that final chord a bit more "oumph"?

A beautiful piece, none the less.

bravo.
    Michel

I don't know what to say.... Just your listening means a lot to me and I appreciate your comments more than you know.

I know what you mean with the final chords, but to me the sound becomes to harsh and distorted when the velocities are set too high in the rendering.....maybe its my computer....

Thank you so much for listening and taking time to comment.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Louis

I'm really happy to see the third movement of your flute sonata posted this morning.

No need to compare it to the clarinet sonata we all have enjoyed so much. This is of a very different flavor, and it's tasty in its own unique way.

The freedom of the dancing flute spinning circles around the more agitated piano makes for a very engaging duet to behold and hear.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy, you are always so reassuring! Thank you for your kindness and of course for taking the time to listen to my music.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Really enjoyed this final movement, Louis!

I've re-listened to the first two arrangements.. This third installment makes for a terrific conclusion.

The combined movements are a plethora of color and form. Although written for only Piano and flute.. you've created three unique conversations.

I might agree with Michel regarding more emphasize on the last phrase.

An incredible achievement Louis!

Bravo!

~Jeff
    Jeff, thanks for following the whole sonate. The last movement is kind of a fantasy based on the material coming from the first two movements, so it does make more sense to hear everything at once. My friend whom I'm giving the piece to, originally wanted a single movement concert piece, but after I finished the first part, she changed her mind and said she would like a multi movement piece. Then I had to start scratching my head...... She also didn't want something more than 10 minutes So....

Thank you again for listening.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast