• Register
  • Help

Topic: solo strings queries

Share/Bookmark

solo strings queries

Hi, I just got Solo strings.
    1. Does string designation work (sul D, for example)
    2. Can I make the no9te sound on the open string? (I put "sul D" and write a D that should sound open, but I still hear vibrato so it must not be an open string).
    3. The violin sounds like an oboe sometimes--anybody agree with me? I tried selecting "non-vibrato" articulation...it doesn't change...maybe I dont have "non-vibrato" option?
    FYI, I am trying to make the violin sound more like a fiddler would play; would especially like to be able to play open string notes.

Thanks

John OLoughlin

Re: solo strings queries

Quote Originally Posted by John OLoughlin
    Hi, I just got Solo strings.
    1. Does string designation work (sul D, for example)
    2. Can I make the no9te sound on the open string? (I put "sul D" and write a D that should sound open, but I still hear vibrato so it must not be an open string).
    3. The violin sounds like an oboe sometimes--anybody agree with me? I tried selecting "non-vibrato" articulation...it doesn't change...maybe I dont have "non-vibrato" option?
    FYI, I am trying to make the violin sound more like a fiddler would play; would especially like to be able to play open string notes.

Thanks

John OLoughlin
    We're looking into adding open strings, but haven't yet decided whether it'll be an update or part of the Solo Strings 2 kit. We don't yet have the functionality to allow for "Sul X" commands, but we will soon. The functionality for the open string symbol is there, but the samples weren't included in SS1.

Jason, thx for quick reply,
    Geez! I would never have dreamed that. The 4 most basic sounds a violin makes--omitted from your super-duper violin?
    you have *got* to fix this! Beginners, teachers, celtic, bluegrass, even classical writers need it. OMG!!!
    P. 70 of my notion manual says upgrades are available at the website to give me sulX, non-vibrato, Open (does that mean open strings)
    I am shocked. Very disappointed!

John OLoughlin

And Bach!!! Vivaldi!!! You used a 17th cent violin but you cannot play the standard repertoire of the 17th cent.????!!
    How can you play the Bach Sonatas, Concerti....What an omission!!!
    Jazz. Klezmer. Irish. Appalachian. Balkan. All---beyond my reach. Bowing is thrown off. Sound is ... full of 19th cent schmaltzy vibrato... oboe-like...
    There is no way this instrument can sound or play like a 17th cent violin.

Please attend to this!

JohnO

Go Back to forum