• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many "cores" do I need?

Question How many "cores" do I need?

Hey Folks,

I'm looking to get a brand-new Mac Pro, and I'm not sure if I should go for quad or eight-core. I'll be running DP with an enormous amount of tracks and plugins, including many instances of Vienna Instruments.

I've been told that most plugins don't even know how to handle 4 cores, let alone 8! Does anyone know more about this issue?

I want to get a machine that will be able to keep up for a few years, but I don't want to overdo it.

Any advice?

Re: How many "cores" do I need?

You only need one, brother, as long as it's hard!

Anyway, you can't "overdo" it when buying the best of the bestest, but you can "overdo" it if you overinvest in a technology that won't last as long as something of a similar pricing should last.

I think multicore is safe for now, I don't see that changing for a long while--so get as many as is in your budget.

Hardware is the limiting factor, software will adapt--you take care of your future first, so don't worry if the software isn't going to make use of your multi-core processor. Most multi-threading is handled by the OS anyway, so it's not like the software will break or something--it just won't be as optimized as it could be.
    - Dan

Having read several threads on the subject of performance, I get the impression that processor speed is usually not the limiting factor. What I hear people say is that the main requirement is to have GBs and GBs of RAM.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

thanks for the advice! I went ahead and got just under the "best of the best"... Dual Dual-Core 3.0 GHz Mac Pro. I think at this point an 8-core is overkill.

I think this is highly dependent on the style of music you're making. For mostly orchestral pieces, RAM would be the main bottleneck. For pieces that are more cutting-edge (lots of synths, effects and audio manipulation), I find that the CPU is ALWAYS the bottleneck, especially when you have complex routings and lots of level meters all being rendered in realtime.

Go Back to forum