mobo: MSI 875P NEO-LSR
    cpu: Intel P4 2.4 Ghz 512k cache 800Mhz FSB
    ram: 1.5 GB DDR 400mhz 184pin PC3200
    harddrive: 2x Western Digital 120GB SE SATA 7200rpm 8mb buffer
    videocard: MSI GeForce FX5200-T 128mb DDR
    cdrw: Plextor 52x/32x/52x premium with 8mb buffer
    audiocard: Echo MiaMidi

What do you think, good enough?

What\'s better to choice Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP?

Re: Please comment on this comp. spec

Make sure you buy memory in pairs. You would need 2 512 MB sticks and 2 256 MB sticks to equal 1.5 GB of memory. I would bump it up to 2 GB and get 4 512 MB sticks.

Oh, I hadn\'t think of that - Does that make much difference? My plan was to buy 3x 512 MB sticks.

If you\'re trying to save cash, you might want to check out the \'65\' boards as well ($50-$60 less) - it seems that the board makers have kind of hacked the features that were supposed to differentiate the two designs.

Of course the spec is \'enough\' - do you need such a speedy video card? (Maybe you could save a little cash on the mobo and video card and put it toward the extra RAM Haydn\'s talking about). Also, even though matched pairs should do, make sure to check the mobo site to make sure they\'ve verified that it works with the RAM you want to buy - some people seem to have experienced problems while others claim you don\'t even have to bother getting matched pairs.

On Win2000 versus XP. Win 2000 is getting kind of old and Microsoft will surely plant plenty of end-user goodies in their XP line when they come along (including horrific cp). I\'ve never used 2000 for music but loved using it at work. XP seems to the job just fine - I\'d do a search here though cause I don\'t exactly strain it.

On the hard disks: are both of these disks for data or will one hold the OS? If one is for OS, you could also save money by getting a much smaller drive for programs. That might help toward the $100 more you\'d need for a 2.8C instead of a 2.4. With such a high spec, wouldn\'t it be worth installing the faster processor? Or even another $40 for a 2.6C; now that is value.

On CD-RW, I\'m no expert but wouldn\'t you want to look at DVD writers?

That will be a lovely machine.

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Oh, I hadn\'t think of that - Does that make much difference? My plan was to buy 3x 512 MB sticks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you want to use the dual channel configuration (greater latency - greater bandwidth, although I doubt humans could percieve the kind of latency they talk about here) you need pairs (or preferably, matched pairs). Forgot to mention: maybe you should find out for sure whether the mobo will indeed work with the particular \'2\'GB; very few people install that much memory and I\'ve never seen a single review that uses that much. (Pretty sure it will work, but maybe best to check.)

Hmmm... so there are really no difference between \'65\' and \'75\' boards?

I have found that XP is more heavy on the computer power than Win 2000, but maybe that doesn\'t make a lot of a difference.

One disk (2) will contain all Giga, Kontakt etc. samples, the other disk (1) is for application and also storage for graphic files. Wouldn\'t it be better to have audio files also stored on disk (1)?

Thanks for the advice!

One disk (2) will contain all Giga, Kontakt etc. samples, the other disk (1) is for application and also storage for graphic files. Wouldn\'t it be better to have audio files also stored on disk (1)?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, leave them seperate. The samples will stream much better off a dedicated drive.

Also, if you want to move your samples to another machine you could just remove the samples drive. Same goes if you wanted to wipe the O.S. and re-install, better if it is on its own drive too.

Scott.

Thank you guys!

Originally posted by Haydn:
    Make sure you buy memory in pairs. You would need 2 512 MB sticks and 2 256 MB sticks to equal 1.5 GB of memory. I would bump it up to 2 GB and get 4 512 MB sticks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not sure that\'s true anymore. Most MB\'s now, like mine, appear to have 3 slots, which would make it impossible.

The Asus 865 and 875 boards I have checked out have 4 memory slots because the use dual channel DDR memory which has 2 memory slots per bank. Checking latest prices it appears the only way to go now is to get 4 512 MB PC3200 sticks for total of 2 GB. Haven\'t really seen any 1 GB chips of the PC3200 variety.

Go Back to forum