• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano for sketching: Roland SRX-11 or 128mb piano library?

Share/Bookmark

Piano for sketching: Roland SRX-11 or 128mb piano library?

Sorry for the confusing title, but let me explain what I'm looking for.

I use Nuendo to compose my music in, and a lot of my music is of the orchestral variety (either sampled or live).
    Usually I'll start to sketch out some ideas by playing a piano patch on my trusty old XV-5080. I use the XV Grand for this and have made a few variations on the patch (there are mellower versions of the samples in the internal soundbank).

This sounds okay, but the velocity switching is quite obvious and eventhough it is a pretty good sampleset, it is not the most expressive of pianosounds, obviously because the had to reduce it to fit it in with the rest of the internal sounds.

Though I have a few samplelibraries, I need to keep the piano sound outside of nuendo, for various reasons:
    A) since my sessions are very heavy (3-4 full instances of Kontakt2, 1 or 2 Altiverbs and various EQ's and compressors) my latency needs to be set quite high, which means responsiveness isn't great.
    B) Memory; with those Kontakt instances, there's no memory left
    C) I need access to the piano sound regardless of what Nuendo is doing, as inspiration might strike at any moment; I just want it there all the time.

I have a second computer but that is filled to the rim with Gigastudio stuff.

So, to come to the actual question, I'm considering the following:
    a) Getting the Roland SRX-11 board. Afaik, this is based on the RD-900 sampleset and the demos sound good. Downside is that it's still only a 64mb set and has 4 velocity layers, which I don't know whether that's enough. Also, for what it is I find it quite expensive!!!
    b) Getting a 128mb Sampleset that I can load into my XV. As it is pretty much permanently on anyway, this is a viable option.

So, what would you guys suggest? Also, what 128mb piano libraries are there and what can you recommend? I know of things like Pianoteq, but for how I want to use things, that's not an option right now.

Thanks for your time!

Joris
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Re: Piano for sketching: Roland SRX-11 or 128mb piano library?

Re: Piano for sketching: Roland SRX-11 or 128mb piano library?

Quote Originally Posted by Joris de Man
    So, to come to the actual question, I'm considering the following:
    a) Getting the Roland SRX-11 board. Afaik, this is based on the RD-900 sampleset and the demos sound good. Downside is that it's still only a 64mb set and has 4 velocity layers, which I don't know whether that's enough. Also, for what it is I find it quite expensive!!!
    Hi Joris, I purchased both srx2 and srx11, and after playing some time with the two I preferred srx2 concert piano, slightly more expressive; then I started to feel unhappy with it too, and eventually...

b) Getting a 128mb Sampleset that I can load into my XV. As it is pretty much permanently on anyway, this is a viable option.
    ...decided to sample a piano myself, from one of the plugins I own, and load it in my FantomXR. So far this is the best compromise I've found, I'm able to tweak the sound to my needs, use it for live gigs with excellent results (jazz gigs). This is my suggestion: sample a good piano from one of your plugs, if you have a mezzoforte level that might be enough. I like it better to have a single coherent velocity level and play around with the lowpass filter then to have inconsistent sample jumps while I'm playing... this way you can sample almost every note and have up to 12 seconds each sample, natural decays and envelopes... just my 2 cents

Go Back to forum