• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Urgewalt" - My first try

Share/Bookmark

"Urgewalt" - My first try

Hi folks!

This is my very first entry into the beatiful pool of GPO goodness. So please be kind!

It's 100% GPO, plus some altiverb. I tried to improve my orchestral percussion skills with this quite a bit.

The title "Urgewalt" is german. I tried to find a good translation, the closest would be 'elemental force'. For example, you could say "And then the mighty warrior pulled out his swords ( ) and struck him with such an Urgewalt, that it was sudden death."

Just around 2 minutes, I hope you enjoy it:

192kbits/s MP3:
    http://www.box.net/shared/2r6h6l47ms

(or 256kbits/s AAC (better quality): http://www.box.net/shared/yyarn7rr8d)

Re: "Urgewalt" - My first try

It's very good. Is that a tubular bell in there? Whatever it is I like it. Some of the brass sounded a bit "synthy" but I don't know what you can do about that. I've only posted 2 tries so far so I'm not that expert.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hello, wargum

Nice! Even though I don't speak German, the title just sounds right to me--the music sounds like what the word URGEWALT! sounds like--BUt thanks also for the approximate translation.

Your mix has a good sounding blend to it, much better than many people's early GPO recordings. In fact, everything you've done manages to convey clearly the excitment you had while composing and making the recording.

The Tubular Bells Diligamus likes are used very well in this. Have you noticed that those samples are "wet" and need less or even no reverb in order to blend with the rest of the instruments which were recorded dryer?

This is the second time this morning that I've noticed the word "synthy" being used to describe the brass sounds in people's projects. Well, from my obsevation, it seems to be pretty much a consensus that the Brass instruments in GPO are the most difficult to get a successfully natural sound from. Many people are adding Brass from other programs to beef up the GPO Brass. Getting that supposedly "synthy" sound is really the way the Brass comes across much of the time.

One tip that might help with that is to use the Overlays more sparingly. It sounds like there are sections where you have the Overs constantly at as high a level as the instruments themselves, and they lend a digital sounding brittleness which I think people interpret as sounding artificial. I've found that it helps to keep the Overs down for most of a piece, swelling them up only for the loudest notes or brief sections.

Congratulations on work very nicely done--I just wish the piece was longer!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Your mix has a good sounding blend to it, much better than many people's early GPO recordings. In fact, everything you've done manages to convey clearly the excitment you had while composing and making the recording.
    Thanks! It took me quite some time, though. I don't take the score writing route, that may help. And thank god I could finally afford altiverb, heck, it's so much better compared to the reverbs that come with Logic Express.

The Tubular Bells Diligamus likes are used very well in this. Have you noticed that those samples are "wet" and need less or even no reverb in order to blend with the rest of the instruments which were recorded dryer?
    Could very well be, i'll look into this.

This is the second time this morning that I've noticed the word "synthy" being used to describe the brass sounds in people's projects. Well, from my obsevation, it seems to be pretty much a consensus that the Brass instruments in GPO are the most difficult to get a successfully natural sound from. Many people are adding Brass from other programs to beef up the GPO Brass. Getting that supposedly "synthy" sound is really the way the Brass comes across much of the time.
    I agree. Even more expensive orchestral libraries like EWQLSO can easily end up sounding "synthy". I guess you refer specificially to the, more or less, solo brass part starting at 0:41, right? I think I used French Horn overlay in combination with some Trombones, that may cause it. Not sure if I really wanna change it.

One tip that might help with that is to use the Overlays more sparingly. It sounds like there are sections where you have the Overs constantly at as high a level as the instruments themselves, and they lend a digital sounding brittleness which I think people interpret as sounding artificial. I've found that it helps to keep the Overs down for most of a piece, swelling them up only for the loudest notes or brief sections.
    Very well observed! You have the ears of a spy!

Congratulations on work very nicely done--I just wish the piece was longer!
    Thank you for your criticism! I honestly just don't have any ideas for lenghthening this one. I'll move on to something different, quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I don't usually respond to anyone who doesn't use his or her real name on a forum. I like to know with whom I am conversing.

It's not very musical. More strings and other instruments and less drums and timpani would have been more to my personal liking.

Try establishing a theme with theme development, counterpoint, variations on the theme, excursions to alternate keys, etc. Make it interesting to the listener instead of just being a workout for the percussion section.

Your timpani was much too loud when the strings made a brief appearance.

Get a good grounding in music theory.

Regards,

Larry
    Hehe, Larry,

do you have a bad day?

For me, this one is a very good "first entry" from wargum! It is much better than many others... .

Wargum, thank you very much for posting this! I like your composition and agree with Randy... . Hope I can hear more from you soon.

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hey Wargum, Great first start! Very dramatic sound fitting for a video game or movie perhaps. Sounds like you have a good grasp on orchestration. The more you write and "tinker" with the software the better and better things get! Thanks for posting this; looking forward to your next post!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very epic sounding! I hope once I get to the point where I can post something, it is as impressive as this first entry. I also thought the bells were great. Keep it up!

I like the sound of this. A very good first try. The percussion was interesting. I couldn't really classify this song, but it was enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

This sounds very much like something to hear in a video game or movie. I liked it very much. It's amazing how good GPO sounds in this, you certainly have the right skills to bring out the best sound. I also think your new reverb makes a big difference to the overall sound. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Welcome to the forum, Felix!

Some excellent scene-setting and color work in this,
    and a fine introduction to us of your work and your
    style. I listened to this in the sense of a cinematic
    clip, and thought it was quite effective and well done.

The one comment I'll make about GPO to you, you
    probably already know -- but: like playing a real
    instrument, it takes time and practice to get to know
    it well, understand its strengths and shortcomings.

I'd say you're well on your way, though!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum