• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX to Infinity

Share/Bookmark

Question RMX to Infinity

Stylus is so cool. I purchased it about 1.5-2 years back but only really started digging deep over the last 6 months. The only expansion I have purchased so far is the backbeat disc. I am bassist so I love the slap friendly grooves that BB library offers but what REALLY blew my mind was the bonus material included. Man, that distorted reality material is just over the top killer...
    Then about 3 weeks ago I was messn' round, staying up on a work night way past my bed time, locking up my laptop every half hour of so and getting generally nutz in LIVE 6.0 with stylus and LIVE's instruments. I got 4 or 5 midi tracks all bouncing off one another's clips, dragging in just about every patch they got. Just sort of improving, improvising and checking out all the cool combos, when all of a sudden the bizarrest thing happened. I believe that I know now what happened but at the time I thought that somehow Stylus was binding and playing simpler instruments! I am still not certain this was not what happened but have never been able to repeat the trick again. It was wild! I am not just saying that the midi "broadcast" on channel 1 was sounding the simpler instruments either, it was ALL and ANY patches I went to in Stylus! What I believe may have happened in retrospect was that I may have been fooled by an audio chorus effect merely glitching' the heck out of all the stylus patches. I am really not sure if it's all as simple as that though because the computer crashed in a very unique way shortly after the phenomena occurred before I could "save the set"

any thoughts other than "somebody lock this guy up!"?

Is it possible for RMX to play other instrument's sounds like an arpeggiator on steroids? If not, has there or is there such a device?

Since our last communications I have been recording midi clips as a bounced (from another midi clip in LIVE) via the output of channel 1. I have also been dragging and dropping files from RMX into midi clips. Why do all these clips that are recorded from Stylus have "straight" syncopation? If I DnD into a clip and then loop the material from that DnD I just get chromatic scale like play back. How can I get the Stylus audio patch interpretation if said midi file in LIVE? In other words, I am obsessing over how to get LIVE to use it's instruments to be driven by RMX. Can DnDing files from Stylus into LIVE ever accomplish this? How about that same scenario in reverse?
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Question Re: RMX to Infinity

er...what's DnD?

thx

Nigel

Re: RMX to Infinity

Drag and Drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranietz
    Drag and Drop?
    I apologize for that. just lazy. Yep, it's drag and drop.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    By DnDing - are you talking about DnDing the MIDI representation of the slice or loop into a rack and then using it to trigger other libs/events? Kind of like EZDrummer? I don't think that's a current feature.

Let's put a bug in Eric's ear shall we? Bzzz, Bzzz, Bzzzt, ZZZAAAAPP!

This would be a very nice feature - and hand in hand going the other direction, also to be able to import wavs as elements (not just loops/grooves) - don't replace the current format - just add wavs in parallel!

Somethings to think about for this Winter's big surprise. Heck, I might even buy it if it could do these things! Heck - I'll go farther than that - I'd definetly buy it if it could do either of these things.

Eric, Run it up your Jacob's Ladder and see what you think!

Stephen
    Stephen, I REALLY appreciate your reply but I am not certain about the "trigger other events" part. man, i wish I was more literate sometimes. Let me lay it out for you as only I can (oh boy...)

Let's say I go into a midi track and create the frame work for a 4 segment long loop. STOP: Moron alert. Are the 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. devisions in LIVE's basic grid "measures" or "bars"? Do four measures make a bar? Or should I just forget the whole thing and head to the nearest bar for good measure? The proceeding was a serious query believe it or not.

back to business: In typical fashion I might hammer out some little 4 note basic rhythm on my axiom 49 using LIVE's Simpler to create bleeps or burps or what have you. If you view the clip in a way that allows you to see the midi finger print so to speak, you have 4 little red squares of varying lengths with the respective velocity representations at the bottom of the clip.

Now at this point you can drag in as many different sounds from Simpler's repertoire in the browser as your little diabolic heart desires. These midi notations become the mechanical base for all the various sound interpretations.

When you drag and drop from the stylus window into a blank midi clip or midi frame work, why isn't the drum pattern accurately represented in midi notation in terms of basic time signature and velocity layout? Isn't the digital mechanical aspect of RMX the same basic thing as Simpler or Impulse? Containing and allowing us to choose all it's own voicing or sounded patches within it's internal browser so to speak? My thinking may be so flawed in this sense that you are currently busy just trying to catch your breath as you laugh yourself into oblivion, I don't know. I just know that if Stylus can receive midi dialog from clips in LIVE's midi tracks, it makes me believe that the opposite must be possible from it's internals. No? Now tell me, am I
    more-on or more-off?
    M. C. Escher

Hi. The midi info you are dragging from RMX has nothing to do with midi notation. The midi info from RMX is how the sliced sample parts are being triggered. They appear sequenced in a chromatic rise.Keep in mind tha RMX is a sample player.You may want to check out REX files which are a Recycle file.So basically what is happening is this. A sampled loop has been sliced and those slices are being triggered one after the next. I hope I am being of some help in attempting to explain why the two midi files are different. JON

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma
    Hi. The midi info you are dragging from RMX has nothing to do with midi notation. The midi info from RMX is how the sliced sample parts are being triggered. They appear sequenced in a chromatic rise.Keep in mind tha RMX is a sample player.You may want to check out REX files which are a Recycle file.So basically what is happening is this. A sampled loop has been sliced and those slices are being triggered one after the next. I hope I am being of some help in attempting to explain why the two midi files are different. JON
    Hi Jon
    Yes, I think (hope) you are making perfect sense to me. Sense or knowledge that I did not honestly know or understand prior to your post. If I am following you, the "slices" or sampled audio files that Stylus plays are based on it's midi file triggers. These sampled audio files are in the "REX" file format?

Does that mean that I could load my own REX files into Stylus and play them with these midi trigger files? That would seem logical. I have an unopened sample tank expansion disc at home that I bought at guitar center about 2 years ago. I believe it supports REX. Could I load that into Stylus!??

As my mind runs wild...is it possible to record samples via typical Ableton Live Wav. audio clips, convert them to Rex. and then load them into Stylus? How does one convert Wav. to Rex.? Or is there much more here that I am completely missing?
    M. C. Escher

Quote Originally Posted by DrXparaMental
    When you drag and drop from the stylus window into a blank midi clip or midi frame work, why isn't the drum pattern accurately represented in midi notation in terms of basic time signature and velocity layout? Isn't the digital mechanical aspect of RMX the same basic thing as Simpler or Impulse?
    Nope. It's a completely different thing.

Audio Groove Slicers and Samplers are related, but a fundamentally different concept and approach.

RMX is not MIDI sequenced tracks, it's audio recordings that are sliced.

Read this chapter of the manual to understand it better. It explains the whole thing in greater detail:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/rmx...rol/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Nope. It's a completely different thing.

Audio Groove Slicers and Samplers are related, but a fundamentally different concept and approach.

RMX is not MIDI sequenced tracks, it's audio recordings that are sliced.

Read this chapter of the manual to understand it better. It explains the whole thing in greater detail:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/rmx...rol/index.html
    Thanks great one! I just called ILIO to purchase the S.A.G.E. Metamorphosis disc. I got the machine and left a message. Is that the best way to go about this purchase? (I had some actual quick questions for someone) I got my Backbeat from Sam Ash but it took a little while and was hoping to cut down on the delivery time.
    I liked the bonus stuff so much on the Back Beat disc that I figured this was the best ticket "in" as far as whacked stuff was concerned. Do you recommend it from the distorted reality stand point? It seems according to what I have read that I would be on track in this since. I also want to dig a great deal deeper into the soundtrack angle. That's the type of music that I am fusing heavily with the whole electronic sequenced groove machine element.
    I have so many questions that I would love to actually talk with someone that knew what I am so ravenously curious about. Problem of course is not wanted to offend anyone by seeming ignorantly overboard

Like, can I use RMX in Windows as a stand alone device that would record into LIVE 6.0 as a primary DAW? What about the Atmosphere synth from the same perspective? Does the Atmosphere synth have arpeggiated midi out capability in that it would write midi notation to midi clips in LIVE whereby I can use atmosphere to "drive" that midi clip's audio?
    M. C. Escher

Quote Originally Posted by DrXparaMental
    Thanks great one! I just called ILIO to purchase the S.A.G.E. Metamorphosis disc. I got the machine and left a message. Is that the best way to go about this purchase? (I had some actual quick questions for someone) I got my Backbeat from Sam Ash but it took a little while and was hoping to cut down on the delivery time.
    I liked the bonus stuff so much on the Back Beat disc that I figured this was the best ticket "in" as far as whacked stuff was concerned. Do you recommend it from the distorted reality stand point? It seems according to what I have read that I would be on track in this since. I also want to dig a great deal deeper into the soundtrack angle. That's the type of music that I am fusing heavily with the whole electronic sequenced groove machine element.
    I have so many questions that I would love to actually talk with someone that knew what I am so ravenously curious about. Problem of course is not wanted to offend anyone by seeming ignorantly overboard

Like, can I use RMX in Windows as a stand alone device that would record into LIVE 6.0 as a primary DAW? What about the Atmosphere synth from the same perspective? Does the Atmosphere synth have arpeggiated midi out capability in that it would write midi notation to midi clips in LIVE whereby I can use atmosphere to "drive" that midi clip's audio?
    All is good. Metamorphosis is purchased and I am straight as far as Atmosphere is concerned. No arp. There is really no using Stylus in stand alone mode either. No such thing. I was just confused by some of the unfamiliar lingo being thrown around.
    M. C. Escher

Go Back to forum