• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: Suggestions

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Suggestions

    I just want to say that I have been moaning and groaning my way through a project right now, using Overture with GPO. Turns out that it takes quite a bit of futzing around to get the sound playback to sound anything close to what i'm trying to notate. I am sure if I was trying to produce a polished mockup, I would prefer to work in sonar anyway. When I'm composing I just want to hear a good enough approximation. IMHO, in an effort to be flexible, Overture provides too many things to have to tweak, just to even hear a basic rendition to give me an idea of the colors I'm creating. I have the same issue with Finale Human playback, though perhaps a little more finely tuned due to Gary Garritan's involvement with the Finale Human playback features of finale. Of course Finale is too complicated for other reasons.

    I purchased Notion and and uninstalled it rather quicly because i felt the editing work flow was just really cumbersome compared to overture. I hope that is being improved. What now interests me most about Notion is that perhaps I will be able to get this "good enough" sound playback while I am composing my ideas... I pretty much will have to use Finale or overture for final printing and I would probably use Sonar for mocking up something that sounds really great (using my Kirk Hunter libs most likely).

    One suggestion I have is to offer some bundle deals for the sound expansions. For example, but the expanded strings and solo strings together and get a discount somehow.

    I hope the editing work flow in Notion will get to where I hope it can be soon...then I could easily see Notion becoming my main tool for the composing and arranging step, particularly if it exports MusicXML that is very Finale-friendly.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

  2. #2

    Re: Suggestions

    Bundling similar kits together is a great idea, and I'll present that to the Powers That Be.

    But besides the MusicXML improvement, I'm having a hard time understanding what exact features will improve your workflow. Think you could be more specific about things you'd like to see?

  3. #3

    Re: Suggestions

    Not now I can't. To be frank, I installed Notion a few months ago, realized quickly the workflow was too lacking and uninstalled it from my machine to use Overture for my current project. When I'm done with this project I will install Notion again and try to make a better list of specific suggestions. It will not be a short list and it will take me a while to use you program long enough(if I last that long) to give you useable feedback.

    A better suggestion is to have someone on your staff use some of the other packages and figure this out from your end.

    What I'm most interested in Notion is to compose and hear reasonable approximations (not final mock ups) of whatever I'm working on with minimal fuss. Notion promises that. But the workflow of entering and editing music has to be on par with the other packages, which it currently is not.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

  4. #4

    Re: Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Not now I can't. To be frank, I installed Notion a few months ago, realized quickly the workflow was too lacking and uninstalled it from my machine to use Overture for my current project. When I'm done with this project I will install Notion again and try to make a better list of specific suggestions. It will not be a short list and it will take me a while to use you program long enough(if I last that long) to give you useable feedback.

    A better suggestion is to have someone on your staff use some of the other packages and figure this out from your end.
    Trust me, we devote a lot of time and energy to this. I was asking because you seemed to have specific issues with our program and I wanted to give you a platform to be heard by the company manufacturing said program. Know that the platform is always here and available.

    What I'm most interested in Notion is to compose and hear reasonable approximations (not final mock ups) of whatever I'm working on with minimal fuss. Notion promises that. But the workflow of entering and editing music has to be on par with the other packages, which it currently is not.
    We're interested in that too. Thank you for buying our software, and I sincerely hope we can be what you need someday. For this to happen, we need your feedback. Whenever you are in a position to provide that feedback, we will welcome it and do our best to address it.

  5. #5

    Re: Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Windsor
    We're interested in that too. Thank you for buying our software, and I sincerely hope we can be what you need someday. For this to happen, we need your feedback. Whenever you are in a position to provide that feedback, we will welcome it and do our best to address it.
    Jason, I gotta hand it to you- you're class all the way. Cordial, friendly and respectful of your customers even when they might not be enamoured with aspects of your product. Thumbs way up!

  6. #6

    Re: Suggestions

    I would just be happy to hear the notes as I enter them in

    Peace

    rikp

  7. #7

    Re: Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    I would just be happy to hear the notes as I enter them in

    Peace

    rikp

    yeah, that's a biggie for me too.

  8. #8

    Re: Suggestions

    Hearing the notes as I enter them is not a big wish list item for me. I am hoping that once that feature arrives, one can also turn it off. However, it might be helpful if I am trying to 'find a note'.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •