• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sudden problems with SX3

Share/Bookmark

Sudden problems with SX3

Ok, I've been using SX3 for maybe a year now, something like that. All of a sudden, it has rendered itself unusable and I have no idea what happened. I use it pretty much specifically for video scoring. Load a commercial, documentary or whatever. Load K2 or whatever, score to taste, end of story. It has been stable for a long time now. I just finished a decent sized film project the other day with no problems. I now have two commercials to do so I fire everything up this morning, load the QT video ( I always use QT), load the audio seperately, and all of a sudden, SX3 stops responding. I restart the whole process from scratch with a fresh boot. Same thing happens. I'm now thinking a corrupt file so I redo the whole process with video and audio I've used before. Same thing happens. Then I notice, my Tascam US-428 which I only use as a transport control, isnt responding. Then I have to go into the remote devices menu and add it to the list. Somehow, it wasnt there. WTF!!! So I load some audio without the video. It plays but snaps, crackle, and pops. Sounds like total ~~~~. I've never had this problem in my life. WTF x 2!!! So then I just open a new project, fire up K2, load the Garritan (GPO) Steinway Lite piano, hit a few notes, and they all die off after about one second. For those keeping score, that's WTF x 3!!!! I went through all the settings for the video, audio, VSTs, soundcard, all that crap. Nothing seems wrong but I'll be damned if I really know or remember what everything used to be set on. I've now spent all day experimenting with no luck. At some point, when audio and video are loaded, my CPU meter (the one in task manager) spikes to 100%. The CPU meter in CUbase stays about 3%. I dont know what could have possibly happened. I havent done anything with my PC lately at all. I ran a virus scan to no avail. Is there anything that could have been reset by accident, by someone else on my PC that would cause all of this mess. I do let my fiancee use my PC but she knows how important it is to me and just checks her email and stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary. I do think that her son may have gotten on while I had Cubase open a few days ago because things were all rearranged on the screen but of course, he denies any involvement. (14 years old, probably saw that I was ready to kill someone when I asked) Any help would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I cant even do the projects I have and I'm losing money by not working. My system is older but has served me very well up until today. It's a Dell Dimension 4600 with 3 gigs of Ram and a 2.6 P4. I use a Delta M-audio 1010lt as a sound card. Tascam US-428 for transport controls. Please help.

Eric

Re: Sudden problems with SX3

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Ok, I've been using SX3 for maybe a year now, something like that. All of a sudden, it has rendered itself unusable and I have no idea what happened. I use it pretty much specifically for video scoring. Load a commercial, documentary or whatever. Load K2 or whatever, score to taste, end of story. It has been stable for a long time now. I just finished a decent sized film project the other day with no problems. I now have two commercials to do so I fire everything up this morning, load the QT video ( I always use QT), load the audio seperately, and all of a sudden, SX3 stops responding. I restart the whole process from scratch with a fresh boot. Same thing happens. I'm now thinking a corrupt file so I redo the whole process with video and audio I've used before. Same thing happens. Then I notice, my Tascam US-428 which I only use as a transport control, isnt responding. Then I have to go into the remote devices menu and add it to the list. Somehow, it wasnt there. WTF!!! So I load some audio without the video. It plays but snaps, crackle, and pops. Sounds like total ~~~~. I've never had this problem in my life. WTF x 2!!! So then I just open a new project, fire up K2, load the Garritan (GPO) Steinway Lite piano, hit a few notes, and they all die off after about one second. For those keeping score, that's WTF x 3!!!! I went through all the settings for the video, audio, VSTs, soundcard, all that crap. Nothing seems wrong but I'll be damned if I really know or remember what everything used to be set on. I've now spent all day experimenting with no luck. At some point, when audio and video are loaded, my CPU meter (the one in task manager) spikes to 100%. The CPU meter in CUbase stays about 3%. I dont know what could have possibly happened. I havent done anything with my PC lately at all. I ran a virus scan to no avail. Is there anything that could have been reset by accident, by someone else on my PC that would cause all of this mess. I do let my fiancee use my PC but she knows how important it is to me and just checks her email and stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary. I do think that her son may have gotten on while I had Cubase open a few days ago because things were all rearranged on the screen but of course, he denies any involvement. (14 years old, probably saw that I was ready to kill someone when I asked) Any help would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I cant even do the projects I have and I'm losing money by not working. My system is older but has served me very well up until today. It's a Dell Dimension 4600 with 3 gigs of Ram and a 2.6 P4. I use a Delta M-audio 1010lt as a sound card. Tascam US-428 for transport controls. Please help.

Eric
    Eric,

one year ago I had similar problems with Cubase SX3. At least, I deleted Cubase and installed it new. After that all worked fine.... .

Best,

Gunther

P.s. I took a listen at your myspace website and must say: I like your musik!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Sudden problems with SX3

Thanks Gunther, I am pasting this from another forum. Hope it helps someone else along the way.

I think I'm up and running again. I ended up leaving the task manager up while I started Cubase so I could see at what point it started freaking out. What I found was that, as soon as I would import a video file, the CPU meter within task manager would spike and stay at 99%! So I went to the only couple of tweaks there are inside of Cubase for video. First, I made sure that I was still using the QT player. It was set for QT. But what I dont understand is that, it WASNT set for QT earlier when I first started having problems this morning. It was set for direct show player. Just as my sound card was set for the wrong drivers this morning. It's as if Cubase forgot all of the settings and tweaks which I had made over the years and reset everything. I dont get it. So then I checked the video cache setting and it was maxed at 128k which is where I always had it before. I also made sure that, upon actual import of the file, that the check box for "extract audio from video" was unchecked. I know from when I first updated to SX3 from 1.06 that Cubase would crash (and still will) if that box is checked. Finally, the fix seems to be in the preferences under the File menu. I went to video and unchecked the "Show Video Thumbnails" box. After doing that, everything seems to be ok. So wtf happened to make all these settings change in the first place, I have no idea, but it seems that, for now atleast, I've hunted down all the ones I need to make this thing work again and get these projects done. Thanks so much for all the help. I hope that this info helps someone else along the way.

Eric

Go Back to forum