• Register
  • Help

Topic: KP2 Standalone & KP2 plugin: too much RAM

Share/Bookmark

KP2 Standalone & KP2 plugin: too much RAM

Hi. I have been using the KP2 with GPO since the update. Really i like it very much more than the KP1. But i found this:
    Kontakt Player 2 Standalone is very similar to Garritan Studio: It allows to use 64 midi channels simultaneously (but it can render to wav) and a very nice routing inside, included fx, etc. But, as you know, always the VSTi or DXi version are much more versatile than standalone, because you do all inside host.
    BUT, when you load the VSTi inside any host, you ONLY have 16 midi channels ( the others are reported as "unavailable") So, if you want the 64 midi channels of the standalone version, you need 4 instances of it. Here is where i found the problem: If you use the Standalone version, the engine itself use 120mb of RAM, more and less. And you can use the 64 channels. BUT, if you want the same 64 channels loading 4 VSTis they will use 350mb of RAM! the engine itself, without any sample loaded. That is too much, since is not rare to use the 64 instruments or more.
    So, my questions are:
    1-Is there any way that KP2 standalone render to wav.
    2-Is there any way that the VSTi use less RAM or share the RAM with the other loaded instances?
    3-Is there any way to acces the 64 midi channels of a single instance?
    4-Are this problems only be solved by the new Garritan drag&drop sampler?

Thanks very much any tip or info!
    Marcelo Colina

Re: KP2 Standalone & KP2 plugin: too much RAM

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    1-Is there any way that KP2 standalone render to wav.
    You can use a sound editor - Audacity f.ex. - to record the output of KP2. If you use Audacity, set its input to "what u hear" and click its record button before you start playback.

Some of the current sequencer packages allow you to "freeze" a VSTi track, which, as I undersatnd it, renders the track as an audio file and take the engine load off of the computer's CPU and RAM. You should be running 2GB RAM anyway if you're going to be using a lot of VSTi's. I'm curious as to how it is that you regularly use more than 64 instruments. Are you using a single instrument for each member of the orchestra?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I tried using the stand-alone KP2 with Sonar by using MIDI-Yoke - to solve
    the problem you are describing.

It worked, but I got 'crackles' that I didn't get when using the stand-alone
    directly or using the VST version in Sonar.

But, since MIDI-Yoke is free, you might want to try that. You may have
    better results.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    Some of the current sequencer packages allow you to "freeze" a VSTi track, which, as I undersatnd it, renders the track as an audio file and take the engine load off of the computer's CPU and RAM. You should be running 2GB RAM anyway if you're going to be using a lot of VSTi's. I'm curious as to how it is that you regularly use more than 64 instruments. Are you using a single instrument for each member of the orchestra?
    Thanks your answer to all. I like to work with templates, with all the instrument i could use setting-up, so is very usual to me to load lots of instrument, even i dont use some of them in the final project, and i discard them.
    Sometimes i feel that developers dont care about the use of RAM, because it´s cheap this days, isnt? KP2 is a great sample player but, i believe that a better handle of the memory when using multiple instances would be welcome by users.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum