• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any multiple monitor folks here?

Share/Bookmark

Any multiple monitor folks here?

I just set up my old CRT to work as a second monitor for my laptop. Just wondering how people get that one-program-spread-across-both-monitors look.

Right now the only way I can do it is by manually dragging the window corner to resize it until it stretches over both screens. When I try to maximize the window it maximizes to one monitor only.

Is there a simple way to set a program to automatically maximize to a dual monitor layout?

Windows XP. Incidentally, I have my monitors stacked vertically - my laptop on the bottom and my extra monitor above it on a stand. If I can get it to work smoothly, this will be excellent for working with large 11x17 scores in my notation software.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Any multiple monitor folks here?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I just set up my old CRT to work as a second monitor for my laptop. Just wondering how people get that one-program-spread-across-both-monitors look.

Right now the only way I can do it is by manually dragging the window corner to resize it until it stretches over both screens. When I try to maximize the window it maximizes to one monitor only.

Is there a simple way to set a program to automatically maximize to a dual monitor layout?

Windows XP. Incidentally, I have my monitors stacked vertically - my laptop on the bottom and my extra monitor above it on a stand. If I can get it to work smoothly, this will be excellent for working with large 11x17 scores in my notation software.

Thanks,
    chris.
    Chris,

You need a graphic card whish allows you to do this.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Well, my graphic card does allow me to use multiple monitors, and it does allow me to stretch my view across both monitors. The only thing I can't seem to do is have a window maximize to both windows instead of just one. Is this still a graphic card issue or is there something in the software that I can do?

Thanks,
    chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Well, my graphic card does allow me to use multiple monitors, and it does allow me to stretch my view across both monitors. The only thing I can't seem to do is have a window maximize to both windows instead of just one. Is this still a graphic card issue or is there something in the software that I can do?

Thanks,
    chris.
    Have you experimented with your mouse to move it?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

The programs I use 'remember' where I last left them.
    I use Logic 5 (on the PC) and I have a 'template' song that I load when I create any new material.When creating this template song, I had to initially resize the window to my liking (stretching across both monitors) and save it. I also use Gigastudio which I have set to open on the second monitor. The way you do this, as you have found out, is to not 'maximize' the program window, but move and stretch it to fill as much screen as you want.

Perhaps the trick for you is to have an already resized 'template' file for your notation software to open when starting a new score. Otherwise you probably will be resizing your window every time you open the program.

Rob

i use the 2 - 1 laptop and 1 widescreen. i use logic on mac and its great with that since all the widows in the program are actually separate windows so i can move them around to different monitors without having to stretch them and so forth. when i had a pc i had sonar and i also used two. what i think you're going to have to do with that is exactly what you are doing right now, just stretch them and so forth. i know if you drag sonar into either monitor and hit maximize it will get large in that particular monitor, but the individual windows in sonar have to stay in the main sonar window itself (does that makes sense?).

this is actually one of the things i love about mac. there is no "program takeover" like on windows where everything has to take place in that particular window. on macs whatever program you're using at that moment has its menu bar on top and then you can open all the individual windows and put them anywhere (does that make sense?)

well thats all i have to about that. i hope that helps.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

If you are using an nVidia based card, the "ForceWare" drivers that you can download from their page allows to add to the title bar of any window a button called "Maximize to desktop", also others like "send window to the other display" "transparency" etc. This option are under the "nView" section.
    I dont know about other graphic cards.
    Marcelo Colina

I use an extra program - Ultramon - it will give you everything you want.

Terry

I use two monitors, but I don't like to have a single window spread across the border... the look just bugs me too much. I like to put all my tool palettes on one window and my work area on the other. Works out pretty nicely for me.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I also can't click maximize and have it take up both screens. However, I use Sonar--with most of its windows you can "Enable Floating" which will let you pull them to the other screen, outside of Sonar's main (maximized on one monitor) window. So I usually have sonar's main window maximized on the right monitor, and some floating windows on the left monitor.

Go Back to forum