• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 4G RAM max under Vista?

Share/Bookmark

4G RAM max under Vista?

Hi,

I'm a bit fed up with tippy-toeing around freezing tracks all the time on my P4 3.0 machine with only 2G RAM. I want to update to the potential 8G on a Core Duo machine.

My local computer parts distributor (very $ competitive guy) told me that Vista (which I dont have yet) only supports a max of 4G of RAM - currently.

Im running currently on a Windows XP/ Cubase SX3 platform. Has anyone got 8G going on any compatible PC DAW? (I'm finding that DAW composers tend to be a bit ahead of most computer traders when it comes to the proverbial cutting edge)...

Thanks.

Re: 4G RAM max under Vista?

The 4GB limitation is only true for Vista x32. Vista x64 can address
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Business: 128GB
    Ultimate: 128GB

Thanks Nickie - good info as usual. Are you using Vista 64?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Steve- I'm glad I read it through - because there's a miraculous change of opinion there in the last third of it. I'm still a bit sceptical - not as any kind of expert, just as a consumer who smells some hype flying around in different directions. The RME guy's opinion has to count for something there I would think.

I dont have any pioneering "early adopter" spirit with these things and have a low emotional pain tolerance when it comes to DAW software problems.

If I were to stick with XP for a while, what sort of RAM does it support on a Core Duo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    Thanks Nickie - good info as usual. Are you using Vista 64?
    Not yet, but I have just had my DAW rebuild, because the motherboard died, and the new motherboard supports Core 2 Quadro, 8 GB RAM and Vista x64, so I plan to upgrade to this whenever the finances allow it.

I guess Windows XP will support 4G RAM on a Core Duo?

Windows XP has the same RAM limits on the Core 2 Duo as on the older P4's. You'll need to use Windows x64 Pro or Vista x64 to get past the current limits. Unfortunately, most of the VST plugins are still 32 bit causing RAM limitations even with 64 bit host such as Sonar. There are finally some sample players coming out such as the one from East West and the player that the Garritan Steinway piano will be using.

Jim

Just wondering about this:

suppose I have a 16 GB RAM computer somehow (don't care how, or if it is possible at this point).

Also consider that I have normal Cubase and K2 (both 32-bit). This means that they can only address 2 GB per application right?

Can't I just start loading stand alone versions of K2 and put them in Cubase just like that? I mean opening K2blah.exe then K2.exe then K2nik.exe, should allow me to open all of them and get as many GB of RAM as I want. Then connecting them to Cubase is a matter of virtual midi cables, right?

Am I weird or something? (I guess the problem is how to connect them with Cubase, no?)

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Can't I just start loading stand alone versions of K2 and put them in Cubase just like that? I mean opening K2blah.exe then K2.exe then K2nik.exe, should allow me to open all of them and get as many GB of RAM as I want. Then connecting them to Cubase is a matter of virtual midi cables, right?
    Should work, but you get a MIDI In port problem in K2. You can only access 4 MIDI ports with 16 channels each in one K2 instance, and all stand alone copies use the same 4 ports. Change the port configuration in one copy, and you change it in all copies. So effectively you only have 64 MIDI channels at your disposal.

>Can't I just start loading stand alone versions of K2 and put them in Cubase just like that?

Have you searched the hardware section? I've described in details some months ago how to get this to work on XP pro X64. Same applies to Vista X64.

With X64, memory is not really an issue anymore, even with 32 bit apps.

I'm currently using dual boot with XP pro X64 and Vista Ultimate X64. Both handle several standalone instances of e.g. K2, hooked up with Midi Yoke NT to Cubase. Audio is routed without latency via Emu's patchcontrol mixer (32 ASIO channels). Should also work with e.g. RME's internal loopback.

Both with XP or Vista X64, you can use all your RAM with 32 bit apps. For example, 4 fully loaded K2 instances and Cubase with various VSTi's easily mount up to 16GB

As already mentioned in this thread, K2-standalone handles upto 4 MIDI ports. That's still much better then K2-VST though If you are using several standalone instances, a little tweak is needed to use more. Midi Yoke NT gives you 8 ports (128 channels total) that you can devide or use simultaneously in different K2 instances.

I made a little Windows startup .cmd script that launches 4 K2 instances and sets the desired audio and MIDI ports for each. It works by copying the relevant K2 default output config and MIDI registry setings right before starting an instance. You can also auto-load complete multi-instruments in each. Saves a lot of time and works great
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Go Back to forum