• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: The Boots of Freedom!

Share/Bookmark

The Boots of Freedom!

Dear Friends,

This is a satirical military march. Symphonic with a synth intermezzo, it's a short song but makes up for it with intense power. Similar in style (and perhaps inspired by) Carmina Burana (O Fortuna, of course), Danny Elfman, Laibach and even the Italian baroque-metal band Rhapsody.

The orchestra is mostly GPO, with some minor support from Hypersonic.
    The vocals are from yours truly; it's up to you to decide if investing in singing lessons instead of choral sample libraries was a good idea.

Here's the direct link:

The Boots of Freedom

But it'd be greatly appreciated if you listen to it on Soundclick Page and give me some precious chart points.

The Boots of Freedom on SoundClick

Cheers Matt

Hear us, our voice will not be denied,
    Hear us, your time will run out tonight,
    Hear us, you've a reason to fear us,
    You don't want to be near us when we rise and march, oh!

We'll march, we'll march, we'll march on for our freedom,
    We'll march, we'll march, all up and down your street, then
    We'll march, we'll march, we'll march up to your door, then the
    Boots of Freedom will march all over your clean kitchen floor!

Re: The Boots of Freedom!

Whether opera buffa or a scene from an American stage musical, this little piece would be a gem.

The stress on the, "ch," at the end of, "march," and other vocal effects would make it quite difficult to duplicate with a synthesized choir; and the voice quality is more than sufficient for the nature of the piece.

Either by intent or by circumstance, you have kept the vocals within a comfortable human range making it fun to sing along with and, consequently, pleasant to hear.

Very nice.

haha, nice job Matt. I thought the vocals sounded great and the whole thing had a very pompous attitude which got me laughing. If there is ever a scene in a Disney cartoon with the Bush administration plotting away, this would be the soundtrack. Thanks for a chuckle first thing in the morning!
    Can you give some insight how you achieved the vocal sound? ie sung multiple times, or layered etc?

btw I couldn't see anywhere to vote on soundclick. I thought there was a "hot\flop" button, but couldn't see it in any of the windows.
    Last edited by chesterdesmond; 06-28-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add info

Awesome! Very great!

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello, Matt

Your satirical march is very enjoyable--And very nicely recorded!

Musicians, being like other artists in this respect, tend to be of a liberal bent. It's liberal and even radical to create art, to write music, compose poetry and prose et al--hence this tendency. And so I easily imagine that you'll find Many appreciative listeners here. I'm certainly one.

Your multi-tracked vocals worked really well, by the way.

Maybe you should just edit out the direct link you posted, so that everyone can hear it at Sound Click--Posts there automatically go up in the ratings just by having people listen. The hot/flop thing is part of the equation, but just having listeners is the most important part.

Good work! Carry on!--Marching, of course!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thank you RBowser, thank you germancomponist, thank you chesterdesmond, thank you Tom_Davis! It's a great honor to get such nice feedbacks from you guys.

chesterdesmond - yes it was done with multiple takes - there's 22 vocal tracks running in the last part. Some people didn't like the reverb, maybe I'll have a second look at that one of these days, if the kid gives me some time off.

Btw, the Soundclick hot / flop links are on the music page (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=138888) and still work. Please, feel free to test ALL of them No, DON'T touch the "flop"s!!!

Kind regards, Matt

Hello again, Aziraphal

Thanks for pointing out the flop/hot page at Sound Click to us.

Just now you said:

"...Some people didn't like the reverb, maybe I'll have a second look at that..."

Which made me want to come back to remind you that changing something in a project based on listener feedback is a very tricky proposition. Just remember you'll never please everyone, and you can drive yourself nuts trying to do that. If there's some feedback which you honestly feel could lead to an improvement, still proceed cautiously.

So for instance, the reverb on your multi-tracked vocals sounded good to me. --And I think it's safe to assume that you'd have as many different opinions on that topic as people you ask. "A tad less" "Use a different reverb" "A tad more" "Forget the reverb entirely"--etc. It's up to You, and you've already done a mix. If the reverb ends up bugging You--well, then experiment with something else.

Thanks again for the fun change-of-pace post!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Which made me want to come back to remind you that changing something in a project based on listener feedback is a very tricky proposition. Just remember you'll never please everyone, and you can drive yourself nuts trying to do that. If there's some feedback which you honestly feel could lead to an improvement, still proceed cautiously.
    Hi Randy, you're absolutely right. But I must confess I was in a hurry to finish it for a contest and didn't give the reverb a second glance before the final mixdown, so they might have a point.

Cheers Matt

What a fun thing to listen to. I get the feeling there is a little "tongue in cheek" thing going on here. I enjoyed this very much.
    -Jay

It's great fun. I hadn't heard of Rhapsody but your approach to vocals reminded me of Queen. 22 tracks, you say? You have more patience than I do! I listened to your song twice on Soundclick. Those charts are pretty funny. In some of the Classical subsections there must be very few listens, as just a few clicks on my "experiment #1" thread managed to give me a "Top 10 Chamber Music" hit! Heh heh heh.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast