• Register
  • Help

Topic: news regarding Gigastudios future

Share/Bookmark

news regarding Gigastudios future

Hello guys
    First of all I hope everybody is doing great

I spoke last week with somebody that works on Tascam and he informed me this

1- Gigastudio will NEVER happen on the mac, something to do with the kernell level,
    the best thing the mac guys can bet on will be GVI which will work with OS X

2 Gigastudio for Vista is gonna take longer than we think

aparently Vista os a pain in the neck, so please Do not upgrade your operating system just yet

However, he mentioned that Gigastudio 4 will be compatible with windows XP 64

so I guess that will be the field will be playing on the near future

Hope this information helps you

Take care

dhg music
    I used to be insecure....now im not really sure

Re: news regarding Gigastudios future

Quote Originally Posted by dhgmusic
    1- Gigastudio will NEVER happen on the mac, something to do with the kernell level,
    dhg music
    fine...no problem...*bring on GVI for Mac*...we're all waiting!!
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Quote Originally Posted by dhgmusic

2 Gigastudio for Vista is gonna take longer than we think
    Thanks!

The info I have is that GVI on the Mac is for sure going to happen. Don't expect an announcement of the date until shipping is imminent.

And it's pretty clear that GS4 (or whatever it will be called) will be 64 bits. The feature set is being held close to the vest. It would be disappointing if GS4 will be for XP64, rather than Vista. The pros won't mind building a dedicated XP64 box, but many hobbyists will want to go with Vista. We will see what happens.

Regarding GS4 never being on the Mac, I think there could be a middle ground. Today, we can play files from GVI, but we can only edit in GS3. Someday GVI-Mac (and GVI in general) could grow to include editing. Who knows? I have no inside scoop here.

AND... Will GS for Vista really need Kernel Mode? I have no idea, but I would expect that the TascamGiga team knows. If and when GS moves away from Kernel Mode, that version could be ported to the Mac.

Unlike the pre-GS3 days when everybody knew the main features, but we waited and waited for product, I expect that we will be pleasantly surprised with next set of new features that we will be able to buy soon thereafter.

Should be a fun ride!

I'm using GVI on an XP64 machine and its very solid. Being able to put GS4 on the same machine would allow me to fold the XP machine I keep around pretty much just for GS3. But one thing about this news is odd... it's my understanding you can't buy XP64 these days except from an integrator.

Howard

EDIT: just spotted XP64 at NewEgg for $140 - hv

How about 64 bit GVI for Vista 64? I would think most folks would be more interested in that *and* it should be easier to develop than Gigastudio. Once GVI is 64 bit and we can run 8GB RAM on a system, that will be a machine that can load a very deep orchestra plus some extras. We're talking 7GB of samples loaded. That would be the equivalent of 5 or 6 well-tweaked dedicated Gigastudio machines of yesterday.

So far the only 64-bit VST host is Sonar.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    So far the only 64-bit VST host is Sonar.

- G
    Yeah, I know. Here's the deal though - if Native Instruments and Tascam use the excuse that there are not enough 64 bit hosts and Steinberg, Digidesign, et al use the excuse that there are no 64 bit VSTs then 64 bit will never happen. So far Cakewalk has been the only no-excuse company. Sonar has been 64 bit for over a year I believe. Cubase is supposed to be 64 bit sometime later this year.

It may be expecting a lot, but my expectations are that these companies step up to the plate and take a swing at the 64 bit ball.

Of all the applications in the computing universe, DAW applications are among the few (3D rendering, Database, physical simulation, probably a few more) that stand to gain the most from going to 64 bit. The time is now and I think that the applications that succeed first will gain considerable free publicity and marketplace momentum.

Tascam/GVI/Gigastudio could certainly use some free positive publicity and marketplace momentum after so many years of quite the opposite.

Logic dictates that the apps & plugs that will benefit from 64bit will get there in due time. Past experience dictates that people will complain about it until they do.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Logic dictates that the apps & plugs that will benefit from 64bit will get there in due time. Past experience dictates that people will complain about it until they do.
    Thanks for your ultimately generic insight.

Go Back to forum