• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: East West or Vienna? I need help

Share/Bookmark

East West or Vienna? I need help

I am new to the world of virtual orchestras and have never had the privilege of using one. I would like to know your views on EWQL Platinum and Vienna instruments special edition or Cube. I would like to hear the opinions of those who have had experience with either and would also like to know about things such as sound quality, ease of use, etc. If anybody has experience with both and would like to share their views on which they think is better that would be great. I would sure hate to spend over $1,000 and come out with a crappy orchestra.

Thanks

Re: East West or Vienna? I need help

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettG
    I am new to the world of virtual orchestras and have never had the privilege of using one. I would like to know your views on EWQL Platinum and Vienna instruments special edition or Cube. I would like to hear the opinions of those who have had experience with either and would also like to know about things such as sound quality, ease of use, etc. If anybody has experience with both and would like to share their views on which they think is better that would be great. I would sure hate to spend over $1,000 and come out with a crappy orchestra.

Thanks
    To me, I much prefer the control of ambience that Vienna has but one could argue that EW sounds better out of the box.

I will always trade off convenience for more control but YMMV.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Well for once, non of the two are "crappy orchestra", no matter what one will tell you.

EW platinum has a couple of advantages over VSL (which has different advantages of course):

EW: 3 mic positions. This means that largely you don't need a seperate reverb to work a lovely mix, or even a 5:1 mix if needed.
    release trails: the "far" and "surround" mic positions come with natural release trails, which are pretty authentic if you ask me...
    It fits lovely in 1 hard disk, and with 2 GB you can do plenty of things, as well as render the 1 mic and then do the exact same thing with the other 2 mics.

BUT

No true legato
    Plastic sound at many instruments (oboe for example and trumpets, or even generally brass).
    The 3 mic positions, create problems when you want a different kind of sound. Lets be realistic EW libraries are on the large side of sound... not the classical

Note: Looking for EW platinum I assume you mean the bundle (normal + xp pro)

VSL (as far as I know): It has fabulous legato for all (?) instruments. You get portamento and legato which sounds... real. Nothing beats that really
    It in the general VSL libraries plenty of instruments nowhere else to be found...
    It needs reverb, which gives the opportunity to work with whatever kind of sound you want
    It comes with a VI made from VSL, (otherwise it's not THAT MUCH worth it, cause it's the VI that makes the legato, as far as I know again), which is... well custom made for VSL.

BUT

It is huge. And more pricey, definately.
    The VI player, I think (not sure at all, since I don't have it) that it still might have bugs...
    You do need a class A reverb to make it shine (altiverb, IR1, etc...)
    If I'm not mistaken it doesn't have 2nd violins. It only has Vlns 1-14, which takes also a bit of skill (but I guess you can get used to it) with EQ.

Note: And yet again the cube alone, could really really use the performance set.

For the record, I have EW Gold, so I don't have personal experience with neither, but this is what I've gathered over the time spent in forums and hearing and listening and reading...

My personal take would be, to be honest, to get something a tad smaller (gold, or Kirk, or something anyways), as a strong base, and build up with various libraries. for brass get wivi, for example. For solo strings get Dan Dean, or Garritan and wait for the rest. For percussion augment what you have with truestrike, etc... Again this practice takes time to master, as at least with 1 library you have consistency with the sound immediately. But not with 5 different ones.

I hope it helps...

Hi Garrett,
    Just do a search of the forum. This topic has been literally discussed into the ground, dug up again, reburied, re-animated, and now lives a deathless existence forever and ever in the dim twilight of the forum archives.

I prefer VSL over East West.

But it all really depends on what type of music you are using it for.

Since I arrange and program strings for a variety of musical projects, I need flexibility.

VSL gives me a lot of flexibility. East West gives me none.

BUT... when the East West sound is what I need, it sounds REALLY good, and I'm very glad I own it. Beyond that, it's a bit too much of a "one trick pony" for me (but it's a heck of trick, it does... )

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    It comes with a VI made from VSL, (otherwise it's not THAT MUCH worth it, cause it's the VI that makes the legato, as far as I know again), which is... well custom made for VSL.
    Nope, the portamento is actually recorded. It's the same audio as the earlier Giga versions, just made for the VI. The only REAL advantage of the VI, as I have it now, is the GREAT repetitions, crossfading dynamics, and layering patches.

Otherwise, its the same as Kontakt 2, in regards to its playability.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Otherwise, its the same as Kontakt 2, in regards to its playability.
    VI is 24 bit as well (Kontakt releases were 16bit).

Qtf! ^_^
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettG

Thanks
    ewql is the best sounding library out there!
    you also should check out kirk hunter virtuoso. unbeatable for the price.
    i never have used vsl because of the sound quality.

I think what Stephen said here is the best rule of thumb. One can make VSL sound cinematic, but EW just makes the job easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    What type of sound are you looking for? If "symphonic" then go with VSL - if "Hollywood" then go with EW. Both are designed more or less targeted to these types of sound.

Stephen
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast