• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Having hard time - which external HD for samples?

Share/Bookmark

Having hard time - which external HD for samples?

Hello guys
    Iím planning to buy two external HD
    one for my samples and one for my back up.( I have also two internal ones - one for recording audio and other one as a boot drive)
    I Ďve read bunch of reviews and posts and still Iím not sure which way should I go.
    From all Iíve read it seems to me that the most important issues is
    whether should I buy enclosure and HD separately or buy it like it is from the store.

This has left me with 3.different choices

1) Go with the HD like Seagate Push button 300 GB or Maxtor One touch 300 GB
    (Both firewire and USB)
    or new Seagate Free Agent( USB, SATA) 320 GB ( this one is without power supply - donít know whether that is not an issue ? )
    With those Iím pretty sure they would be all right for back up purposes but as far as running samples ( and possibly recording Iím not sure whether temperature and ďheat issues ď would not be a problem)

2) Second choice would be to go with HD like Glyph which are advertised as ďexternal storages for audio productionĒ.Iím not really sure whether they are really that good or it is just marketing strategy to promote them - they are pretty expensive - anybody is using those?

3)Go with enclosures.Lot of people doing music production is describing this as an ideal solution.Since Iím a newbie - I canít see all the advantages of this setup (besides the price) And mainly Iím not a technical geek and so Iím little worried how I would put it all together and about later stability.
    I would really appreciate any feedback as far as which way you should go.
    Iím stuck on this issue for a long time and canít come up with good answer.
    Thanks for your time
    Milan

Re: Having hard time - which external HD for samples?

I use an External G-TECH G-RAID FW800 H.Drive for all my sample Libs,
    EW Platinum Pro XP / SAMbrass / TrueStrike 2 / RA / Atmosphere and it works brilliantly.
    dean.

What you need to look for:

Biggest Cache (16-32 mb)
    fastest RPM (7200-10000 RPM)
    lowest seek time (2ms -10ms range)
    FireWire II is better than FireWire I, which is better than USB 2.0 and 1.1.
    Once you have that, find the biggest HDD you can with those specs, thats still in your price range.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

A note about the SeaGate FreeAgent I recall reading: it's got a "sleep" function that can't be adjusted built-in to the interface chip. Great for storage, not so hot for quick access of samples. The article said it required something like five or ten seconds to boot before streaming samples. 'Course I don't own the drive so I can't comment directly.

I can't find the article right now, but I'll keep looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by milan
    Hello guys
    one for my samples and one for my back up.( I have also two internal ones - one for recording audio and other one as a boot drive)
    I Ďve read bunch of reviews and posts and still Iím not sure which way should I go.
    whether should I buy enclosure and HD separately or buy it like it is from the store.

(Both firewire and USB)
    or new Seagate Free Agent( USB, SATA) 320 GB ( this one is without power supply - donít know whether that is not an issue ? )
    With those Iím pretty sure they would be all right for back up purposes but as far as running samples ( and possibly recording Iím not sure whether temperature and ďheat issues ď would not be a problem)

2) Second choice would be to go with HD like Glyph which are advertised as ďexternal storages for audio productionĒ.Iím not really sure whether they are really that good or it is just marketing strategy to promote them - they are pretty expensive - anybody is using those?

3)Go with enclosures.Lot of people doing music production is describing this as an ideal solution.Since Iím a newbie - I canít see all the advantages of this setup (besides the price) And mainly Iím not a technical geek and so Iím little worried how I would put it all together and about later stability.
    Thanks for your time
    Milan
    I don't think there is any argument that SATA is the best way to go. I have a Glyph 500gig - it's pricey BUT it's REALLY fast data transfer. The way it should be. There are other reputable sata drives. (The glyph is a beautiful and quiet thing) I will never use FW again. Never.

Thank you guys very much.Great discussion - lot of information.I will probably with Glyph drive GT050Q1F-200 GB - hopefully it will be a good choice. - it has USB ,Firewire and SATA.
    Thanks again.
    Milan

Quote Originally Posted by milan
    Hello guys

(Both firewire and USB)

Thanks for your time
    Milan

Milan,

I am puzzled by the (voluntary) use of external sample drives. People who must run on a laptop have little choice; external drives in other situations introduce extra latencies and seem goofy. But I am sure I just don't understand the reasons for it.

Are you out of room for more internal drives in your case? If so, a normal-sized case seems as if it would be less expense and long-term difficulty than messing about forever with costly plug-in drives and Firewire.

Larry

Buying a eSata enclosure such as Vantec Nexstar 3 and plopping in a fast drive is by far the most efficient way to increase storage and get max. transfer speed. 400 gb Seagates are available for $90. Vantec throws in a bracket so simply hook this up to a free Sata port and you're good to go. You might need a longer cable unless you can spot HDD within 3 feet of your machine. Latency is NO factor with this setup, average read speed should be around 55 mb/sec.
    Why would anyone mess with USB or firewire if they got spare sata port?

http://www.vantecusa.com/product-storage.html#
    Win XP, ASUS P5W-DH, E-MU 1820, Axiom 49, padKontrol

Because yesturday I ordered a very large library, today I bought me a new 320 GB USB2 external drive. It is from Maxtor, Personal Storage 3200 with 16MB Cache.

I just have experimented and copyed Kirk`s Emerald Library to this new drive. Used 32 channels, so 96 voices at the same time, and......?

Hey..., it works fine, no problems anywhere... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Because yesturday I ordered a very large library, today I bought me a new 320 GB USB2 external drive. It is from Maxtor, Personal Storage 3200 with 16MB Cache.

I just have experimented and copyed Kirk`s Emerald Library to this new drive. Used 32 channels, so 96 voices at the same time, and......?

Hey..., it works fine, no problems anywhere... .
    Which lib didja buy?
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Go Back to forum