• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fanfare For The New Ages

Share/Bookmark

Fanfare For The New Ages

Here's a short Fanfare for brasses. Please feel free to respond to the following:
    Has it gotten too complicated for a fanfare?
    Is ending too abrupt?
    Feel free to make other comments.

THIS IS MY 4th posting of this with editions

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5502574&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 07-04-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: additional edits & additions

Re: Fanfare For The New Ages

Gary, I very much enjoyed the multiple rhythms. I would classify this as a symphonic fanfare. When the trumpets were introduced I really began to feel the fanfare effect. The use of the lower brass without the higher register trumpets seems a bit dark for a fanfare; perhaps the trumpets could be introduced earlier. There is plenty here to hold the listener's ear that may be missed using only the lower register.

Lots of good material here.

Tom

There are some very nice moments in this, Gary.

When it is finished, I encourage you to enter it in the Dallas Wind Symphony's Brass Fanfare Competition!

(deadline is July 15th)

Gary,

Definitely a fanfare, and yes, it kept my interest. My only thought is that it could use more reverb/ambience - the brass seemed too "small". Also, I think you were going for an antiphonal choir effect; but it was so extreme - even in antiphony, there will be some sound coming from the opposite side.

And yes, the ending needs some work...This is quite good, and would make a very vigorous opening for some festivity.

Do post back with the completed version.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Great title. I would say it sounds "fanfare-inspired" rather than exactly a fanfare, but maybe that's the effect you were looking for? I agree with Tom that you'd need more prominent trumpets to make it into a pure fanfare. The timpani are great. I listened to it twice, so I'd say yes, it did keep my interest.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Thanks Tom,
    I guess I'm probably closer to DARTH VADER than LUKE SKYWALKER
    in my musical voice. I like the bellacose tuba predominance in this. I will work wi†h an earlier in†roduction of trumpet-horn sound. I voiced this wi†h Trumpet-horn vs. trombone-baritone-tuba.
    gary

Hi Dargason
    Actually I wro†e this for that purpose. I am getting to the point that I don't enter if I don't get enough response from this forum.
    I just came back from a brief stay close to Tyler. Hope you were on "high ground."
    Gary

Hi Ron,
    When I was abou† done with †his first draf†, †he low brass were completely covering †he horns & trumpets. I adjusted the mixer and
    that probalbly lowered the ambiance. I did adjust the reverb, but I probably need to play with that also.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Hi Diligamus,
    Thanks for listening. Do tune in at a la†er date...
    Gary

HI, Gary--It's great to hear more music from you so soon.

Yes this sounds like a fanfare, and Yes it held my interest.

AAaand, Yes it needs a better ending. Even just holding that chord for another measure would be a start.

One thing as I listened, I had the sensation of the piece starting over several times rather than building. Having some instruments sustaining into the transitions might be something worth trying.

You're going to decide whether or not you'll enter that contest based on the response you get here?--Why?--It never hurts to get something Out there--I recommend you proudly submit this regardless of ANy feedback you get anywhere!

Thanks, Gary.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    ps---I didn't mention the reverb--It's a wild mix of some things dry and close, others farther away--That just seems to be a technical sticking point for you. Well, eventually what's required for using reverb will become more clear, I'm sure of it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast