• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonatina in Bb

Share/Bookmark

Sonatina in Bb

Still working on the piano sonata, but I won't finish it before the July 4 holiday. And after that, I have another big project, so instead here's a sonatina just completed:

Sonatina in Bb, 5:19, 9.8Mb. GPO Steinway.

Short and sweet, nothing earth-shattering, just some nice piano music for the pianist of average ability.

All three movements are contained in the download file. Let me know if you'd prefer it broken up.

@0:00 I. Allegro scherzando
    @1:35 II. Adagio con affezione
    @3:52 III. Vivace

I think I like the middle movement best; it reminds me of a music box.

Re: Sonatina in Bb

This is a goreous little piece. I enjoyed it over and over. This is truly a little gem. This is a great composition . The GPO steinway sparkles in this, you played this live, if I'm not mistaken. It anyhow a beautiful rendering. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Good morning, Darwin

I just Have to thank you for a simply wonderful start to the day. Your Sonatina is such a delicate, pretty and effective piece. Thank you for posting it.

With smiling admiration,
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Still working on the piano sonata, but I won't finish it before the July 4 holiday. And after that, I have another big project, so instead here's a sonatina just completed:

Sonatina in Bb, 5:19, 9.8Mb. GPO Steinway.

Short and sweet, nothing earth-shattering, just some nice piano music for the pianist of average ability.

All three movements are contained in the download file. Let me know if you'd prefer it broken up.

@0:00 I. Allegro scherzando
    @1:35 II. Adagio con affezione
    @3:52 III. Vivace

I think I like the middle movement best; it reminds me of a music box.
    A delightful little piece Darwin, thank you for posting.

Now to upset the apple cart. Personally I dislike Steinway pianos so I would love to have heard this played on a fortepiano; I know we don't have one available yet. Just my personal opinion of course.

Thank you for posting; very enjoyable.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Darwin,

I am listening right now to your delightful piece. Often when I listen to music, i get images, feelings, etc ... so would like to share some of them as i am listening:

a young couple learning their first dance -- haltingly at first, then more and more graceful and relaxed...

an elegant drawing room where people are drinking tea and listening to an afternoon concert...

crystals hanging in a window, twisting gently and sparkling in morning sun...
    bells tolling in a high tower
    fairies dancing
    a tender mother with her child

a walk through a beautiful english garden at dusk

I realize this probably says as much about me as about the music. Suffice to say that I enjoyed this very much. Sometimes simplicity and grace is the most difficult to bring to life -- you have done it here.

Karen

Wow, that was really fun to listen to. You say simple but I hear some well executed, but very subtle, complex melodies! This kept my attention the whole way through. Ever thought of orchestrating this?

Well done!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi LouisD,

This is playing from notation, though there was a lot of midi editing involved. I'm very happy you liked it!

Randy,

I ended my day with it, so it looks like it works both AM & PM. Sometimes, I think the goal of the sonatina should be to convince a non-pianist to start taking some lessons.

Michael,

Personally I dislike Steinway pianos so I would love to have heard this played on a fortepiano; I know we don't have one available yet.
    Do you mean an actual live acoustic piano? Or are you referring to Gary's forthcoming stand-alone piano (which is, I think, a Steinway as well)? Still, I'm very glad you liked the music.

Karen,

The adagio hits me the most in this, not sure why, it seems like it's from some forgotten era, distant, yet so searching, especially in the bridge. Halting dancers for the allegro seems particularly apt, though I didn't have that in mind per se. It was more along the lines that the music just refused to settle down right away, though with all the ritardandos, rubatos, and pauses, it certainly seems to be trying to paint something. Your imagery is wonderful. And I greatly appreciate your observation on simplicity and grace. Thanks for listening.

Michael,

Ever thought of orchestrating this?
    No, I hadn't, but now that you mention it, I do hear some possibilities. Thanks.

Picture this. New York Times front page circa 2007. "Newly discovered manuscript of Beethoven or Schubert Sonata discovered. Or is this the work of a brilliant new composer in our midst. No it is not the work of Beethoven or Shubert or any other romatic composer of the nineteenth century. It the brilliant work of the modern day master of the sonata form. Yes it is the creation of Darwin Kopp." This rates a 10 plus on the Penigar scale.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

I, too, was delighted with the piece. FYI this is the first piece Ive listened to on this forum, by chance. Thanks!

JohnO

Very well done. I really enjoyed this little sonatina.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast