• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dilema: Can I afford not to buy AD?

Share/Bookmark

Dilema: Can I afford not to buy AD?

Here's my problem... I just bought S.I.D. XL and I absolutely love the sound. (Nothing compares!) But the time it takes to load the kits really takes the life from my creativity. I have a pretty fast Mac G5 Dual 2 w/1.5GB RAM and it takes atleast 20 minutes to load my abbreviated kit.

Addictive Drums, however loads instantly (demo version) and I really like the control over the drums. It sounds great too. (XLN Audio, Where did you come from?) This product is amazingly important to my creative process.

Does anybody else spend more time loading samples, than creating? I lose precious moments of studio time wrestling with Halion 3 and these libraries. I have to have great sounds because I am a drummer, so I want my drums to sound as natural as possible.

Re: Dilema: Can I afford not to buy AD?

I have a large sample set in my basic project template (HALion3 instances take up about 1 GB). It takes a few minutes to load, but once it's loaded, everything is fast. I have 3GB RAM, so a large part of the data stays in Windows's file cache after loading it once. Cubase's current 32 bit versions (I'm assuming there will be a 64 bit version in the future) have a nasty limitation that you can't use more than around 1.3-1.6GB of RAM in one project or otherweise Cubase doesn't have anough scrap RAM to save the project file. So when I have 3GB RAM, it means that everything I load in Cubase will always fit into RAM, *and* most of it will also be in the system cache... It may seem like a huge waste of RAM, but it speeds up re-loading projects considerably. The initial loading (when I've booted the machine) takes several minutes, but re-loading a project that uses the same samples takes only a fraction of that time.

Btw, how would you compare SID to NaturalStudio's ns_kit7? I mean the full 20GB version, not the free one.

I do have them both. I like the sound of NSKit7 but SID gives me more control of the sound. I like to apply my own room/ambience to the kit and SID will alow me to do that by taking away the "AMB" samples. Basically it's a bit more flexible.

NSKIT7 does have a cool mapping. (One that had never seen before) which made it somewhat more playable.) NSKIT7 takes a long time to load as well.
    I always end up using other less inspiring kits for pre-pro and my work suffers IMO.

After "ABing" SID and AD I realize that I can get a really similar feel for my production needs and I can regain lost time with AD.

Right now it seems that most of the libraries sound really good. It's the control over sound that seperates the good from the great.

Now I'm at the point where I just need my kits to load faster so I don't lose the moment.

Well then, how's ns_kit7 compared to Addictive Drums?

I like ns_kit7 very much, and for most of my stuff I don't even want more mixing possibilities. I just load it and play it, and it sounds natural. The mapping with separate left and right hand areas is just brilliant, and the playability is great. The only thing that could be better when it comes to playability is the somewhat basic hi-hat choking, but you can't do it better with HALion3 at the moment. The 16-layer crossfading hi-hat is somewhat interesting, but it's still not a perfect emulation.

Well, costumize your SID kit! there are smaller versions offert, I think they are terrible though ...... I through out all overhead and distant samples - leaves me with full articulation and loads much faster.
    I think instead of 6000 samples I load now 2000 or so .....

best

Quote Originally Posted by steff3
    Well, costumize your SID kit! there are smaller versions offert, I think they are terrible though ...... I through out all overhead and distant samples - leaves me with full articulation and loads much faster.
    I think instead of 6000 samples I load now 2000 or so .....

best
    Thanks steff3. I did customize my SID kit. I took away the ambient samples on everthing that I could without losing the "essence". (You're right about the smaller versions. They don't quite do it for me.) So I still have load time issues that drive me bananas! I was loading an NsKit7 set as I read the forum. I sat for 20 minutes and it was still going. Could Halion 3 be the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by -Yki-
    Well then, how's ns_kit7 compared to Addictive Drums?

I like ns_kit7 very much, and for most of my stuff I don't even want more mixing possibilities. I just load it and play it, and it sounds natural. The mapping with separate left and right hand areas is just brilliant, and the playability is great. The only thing that could be better when it comes to playability is the somewhat basic hi-hat choking, but you can't do it better with HALion3 at the moment. The 16-layer crossfading hi-hat is somewhat interesting, but it's still not a perfect emulation.
    That's what I mean. All of the mentioned libraries sound good and have their strengths. Douglas (NsKit7's creator) intentionally made these drums for producers who don't want to have to mix the levels of overhead, snare bleed and ambient sound. He did it for you. If that's all you need then look no further. The drums do sound good.

Addictive Drums allows you to fully manipulate every ascpect of the kit if you should desire to do so. Sometimes I like a very dry sound or some time a heavily processed sound.

>> I sat for 20 minutes and it was still going. Could Halion 3 be the issue?

Well, what version of HAL3 are you running - sounds like HAL 3.1. HAL 3.2 solved that problem for me. it loads about 8 times faster.
    Also make sure you have recent LCC-dongle drivers installed - as that helps also to load the HALion instance faster.

best

I have the latest ver of Halion3 (3.2.333 or some'n), but the LLC dongle driver... I'll check on that.

No-one's mentioned this, and of course you may have already tried it, but what I do with the larger libs in Halion 3, is change the "Pre-load" time to 0.75 secs - this greatly reduces loading time from the 2.00 sec default.

Go Back to forum